Frédéric's Reviews > La muraille de lave

La muraille de lave by Arnaldur Indriðason

bookshelves: book-2018, crime

Erlendur is still on vacation somewhere. So after Elinborg last book it's Sigurdur Oli's turn to star in this new book which takes place at the same time than Elinborg's.
Sigurdur has to investigate the agression of a libertine blackmailer and dig up the dirty secrets of an icelandic banking system that seems to have lost all sense of values. And reason as well. And then there's the pathetic case of Dresi-who appeared in Arctic chill-who never could get over with what happened to him as a kid.

The plot is well done, two of the investigations deftly intertwined. As often the case in Indridason's novels, the relations between the characters, be they friends or total strangers, are a bit odd. Cold. Detached. As for those between the Police and suspects they're even stranger. If it took place in the USA I can't imagine Sigurdur going through half his questions to any of the bankers before getting a restraining order. I reckon that's Iceland for you.

During the previous books Sigurdur seemed to basically be an asshole, haughty with as much empathy as a kitchen sink.
I won't lie to you, he doesn't become much more sympathetic.
Which doesn't mean he wasn't interesting. We happen to know more about his parents and be the witnesses of the end of his couple with Bergthora. When he finally understands Dresi's ordeal he shows his heart is not entirely made of stone. He has frailties and regrets. No doubt he'll be back to his old self in the next book but it was nice to see him under a new light. He and Elinborg deserved their own books.

As for the style, Indridason is constant. Dry, cold, without affect. Can't say I'm too fond of it but the plot and the characters make up for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La muraille de lave.

January 11, 2018 – Started Reading