Lucy's Reviews > Sweetpea

Sweetpea by C.J. Skuse

bookshelves: contemporary, crime-mystery-thriller, dark, made-me-laugh

They think you're weak and girly? Act weak and girly. Use their own prejudices against them. Then when they're not looking, cut their fucking throats.

I cannot believe I let this book sit on my shelf unread for so long, this was everything I could've wanted. It is dark, gruesome and hilarious. I can see how some people wouldn't like this one but I have a dark sense of humour so this was perfect for me.

This book is set in a diary type format written by out narrator Rhiannon. Honestly, there's not a whole lot of plot in this one - this whole book hinges on Rhiannon's character. She's a woman just living her everyday life. She spends time with her boyfriend Craig, she goes to work, walks her dog, oh and she murders people. Each chapter begins with a list of people Rhiannon wants to kill, including her boyfriend, the man at the checkout of the local supermarket and her thieving neighbour. This was just such a dark and delicious read, I could not get enough of it!

All the major serial killers are guys too. And, yeah, there's loads of reasons why guys do it more, but why aren't there more Aileens? I wonder. Maybe there are and they're just hiding it like I am. We're supposed to be all equal now, but we'll never be equal while those statistics remain. I'm just evening things out a bit.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetpea.

January 11, 2018 – Shelved
January 11, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 13, 2019 – Started Reading
March 13, 2019 –
page 201
42.58% "This is SO good!"
March 14, 2019 –