Max's Reviews > Little Fish

Little Fish by Casey Plett

bookshelves: canadian, lgbtqia, trans, litfic

I'm not sure how to review this book or, really, even how to articulate my feelings on it.

I loved it, I can say that much, and...is it weird to say you feel "seen" after reading a book? Probably, but I did. My background doesn't intersect with the protagonist's all that much - I'm trans, but not a trans woman; I'm a white person from the prairies, but not Manitoba, and my family isn't Mennonite - but it intersects enough that the story pulled me in, and when the second half of the novel exploded with ugly emotions (and actions and thoughts, but it was the emotions that hit me again and again) I had to stop repeatedly to take a breath.

This isn't a light read. It deals a lot with sexual assault and suicide and addiction and the sort of undefined trauma that comes from living your life in a body that marks you as separate. There's a lot of transmisogyny depicted in this, unsurprisingly, and it comes in a lot of different forms. I'm very glad I read it, though, because one of the driving forces of the story is a specific kind of misery, one that tends to be unspeakable in part because there are no good words for it, and it's the kind of misery that I think will be immediately recognizable to anyone who's experienced it. One of the blurbs on the back cover of my copy, from Zoey Leigh Peterson, speaks to this: "There is a dark place most novels don't touch. If you've ever been there, maybe you know how exhilarating it can be to read a book like this."

(Also, it has a hopeful-leaning-happy ending. So don't let that last paragraph scare you off TOO much.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Fish.

January 10, 2018 – Shelved
January 10, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 31, 2019 – Started Reading
February 2, 2019 –
page 124
42.03% "I'm loving this SO MUCH."
February 2, 2019 – Shelved as: canadian