Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader's Reviews > Social Creature

Social Creature by Tara Isabella Burton

bookshelves: 2018-reads, arcs, kindle-version

4 enthralling trainwreck stars to Social Creature! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Social Creature is a total trainwreck of a read, and I mean this in the best possible way. Yes, it is absolutely addictive, and because of that, I could not stop reading. More on that in a bit.

Louise is quiet, introverted, and mousy. When she meets over-the-top socialite and party animal, Lavinia, her life takes an intense and even toxic turn. The two become fast friends, and the story turns dark really, really fast.

The less you know about the rest of the story before reading, the better, because a big part of this story is its shock value. That’s where the trainwreck comes back into play. You just cannot stop reading.

Please be warned: if you need likable characters, you will not find them here. If you need an uplifting read, this is most definitely not it. For this one, you need to have the want to be entertained, and a completely open mind, while also not being afraid of “dark.” Not dark in the scary way, but dark in the gritty, shock value way.

For me, I consider this an escape read because I was completely transported to this dark place and totally forgot about what was happening around me. It was that absorbing.

Social Creature would make an excellent movie. I would love to see this bizarre tale unfold visually, and if matches how my mind imagined it.

Thank you to Tara Isabella Burton, Doubleday, and Netgalley for the ARC. Social Creature publishes on June 5, 2018!

My reviews can also be found on my blog: www.jennifertarheelreader.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Social Creature.

January 10, 2018 – Shelved
January 10, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 2, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read-owned-books
May 2, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reads
May 2, 2018 – Shelved as: arcs
May 2, 2018 – Shelved as: kindle-version
May 26, 2018 – Started Reading
June 3, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)

message 1: by DeAnn (new)

DeAnn Jennifer, what a great way with words! You make me want to read this book and be swept along for the ride.

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fab review, Jennifer! So glad that you enjoyed this. I have this book to read too.

message 3: by William (new)

William Thank you for the review

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader DeAnn wrote: "Jennifer, what a great way with words! You make me want to read this book and be swept along for the ride."

Thanks so much, DeAnn! It’s a dark, gritty read, but quite a tale!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Fab review, Jennifer! So glad that you enjoyed this. I have this book to read too."

Thanks, Mary Beth! I’m intrigued to see what you will think about this one. It’s very different!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader William wrote: "Thank you for the review"

Thanks so much, William!

Marialyce Taking this one on vacation with me. Yay, it is a good one!

message 8: by KAS (new)

KAS Hopefully you get your movie, Jennifer ;-) Fantastic review!! XoXo

Kaceey Excellent review Jennifer! It’s on my list! 💕

message 10: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Terrific review, Jennifer!

Melisa Yes!!! Totally agree with everything you said!

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Oh my gosh! I’m interested!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Marialyce wrote: "Taking this one on vacation with me. Yay, it is a good one!"

It’s very, very dark, Marialyce. I hope you enjoy it!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader KAS wrote: "Hopefully you get your movie, Jennifer ;-) Fantastic review!! XoXo"

Thanks, KAS! I hope so, too! Xo 😘

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Excellent review Jennifer! It’s on my list! 💕"

Thanks, Kaceey! I hope you enjoy it too! 💗

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Jaline wrote: "Terrific review, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Jaline!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Melisa - Traveling Sister wrote: "Yes!!! Totally agree with everything you said!"

Melisa, I actually should have given you credit for letting me know about this one! I remember you adding it very early! Happy we both “enjoyed” it! 💕

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lisa wrote: "Oh my gosh! I’m interested!"

I hope you like it, Lisa! It is a twisted story!

Melisa You’re sweet, Jennifer - I’m just glad we’re on the same page with this one!

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Fantastic review, Jennifer!

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Jennifer!

Julie I keep hearing about this book, I'm warming up to it. Fantastic review, Jennifer!

Carol (Bookaria) Excellent review, Jennifer! I placed a hold in the library for this one but haven’t received it yet. Glad you enjoyed it

message 24: by Fran (new)

Fran Jennifer......being totally absorbed and sucked into the dark place presented in the book...wow.......excellent, descriptive review!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Fabulous review my lovely Jennifer! Based on your warnings, I don’t think this would be good for me. I’m so glad this was a great escape read for you! Terrific review! 😊💜💕

Gina *loves sunshine* I seriously love train wrecks!! I’m definitely adding this!!!!!

message 27: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith You had me at train wreck, Jennifer, lol! Fantastic review!

Michelle Love your review, Jennifer! :) This book really blew my mind and a movie would be an excellent idea.

Tammy I had forgotten that I read this. Wonderful review, Jennifer!

message 30: by Robbie (new) - added it

Robbie Sold! You make it impossible to resist!

Susanne  Strong Fantastic review Jennifer! This sounds wicked! Can't wait to get to it!

message 32: by Babydimps (Suzy) (new)

Babydimps (Suzy) Awesome review Jennifer! Sounds dark, but good! 😊

message 33: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I'm excited to read this!! Great review!!

message 34: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Awesome review! Need to read this one!

message 35: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Terrific review, Jennifer, I am so glad this one captured you so!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fantastic review, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Kris!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Jennifer!"

Thank you so much, Norma!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Julie wrote: "I keep hearing about this book, I'm warming up to it. Fantastic review, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Julie! It takes some warming up to while reading too!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Carol (Bookaria) wrote: "Excellent review, Jennifer! I placed a hold in the library for this one but haven’t received it yet. Glad you enjoyed it"

Thanks, Carol! I hope you are able to read it soon and look forward to your thoughts!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Fran wrote: "Jennifer......being totally absorbed and sucked into the dark place presented in the book...wow.......excellent, descriptive review!"

Thanks so much, Fran, for those kind words! As you know, I’m a big fan of your reviews! Xo

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fabulous review my lovely Jennifer! Based on your warnings, I don’t think this would be good for me. I’m so glad this was a great escape read for you! Terrific review! 😊💜💕"

Thanks, Lindsay! I totally understand. Xo 💗

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Gina *loves sunshine* wrote: "I seriously love train wrecks!! I’m definitely adding this!!!!!"

Oh, Gina, I’m excited to see how you enjoy this train wreck!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Meredith wrote: "You had me at train wreck, Jennifer, lol! Fantastic review!"

Lol Thanks, Meredith! I hope you enjoy it too!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Michelle wrote: "Love your review, Jennifer! :) This book really blew my mind and a movie would be an excellent idea."

Thanks, Michelle! I’m so happy you enjoyed it too!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Tammy wrote: "I had forgotten that I read this. Wonderful review, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Tammy! I enjoyed your review too!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Robbie wrote: "Sold! You make it impossible to resist!"

Robbie, I hope you find this an entertaining read!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Susanne wrote: "Fantastic review Jennifer! This sounds wicked! Can't wait to get to it!"

Thanks, Suze! Wicked is a great way to describe it! I’m excited to see what you think!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Awesome review Jennifer! Sounds dark, but good! 😊"

Thanks, Suzy! Yes, definitely dark, but good!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Deanna wrote: "I'm excited to read this!! Great review!!"

Thanks, Deanna! I look forward to what you think!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Kendall wrote: "Awesome review! Need to read this one!"

Thanks, Kendall! I hope you enjoy it, too, if you are able to read it!

« previous 1