Akilah's Reviews > The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone

The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone by Jaclyn Moriarty

bookshelves: 2018, middle-grade, 59

This was super cute, and fantastically feminist. (One of the aunts is a queen and Bronte thinks she became one by marrying a king, and her other aunts SCOFF AT HER and tell her that, no, queen aunt actually applied for the job. I MEAN.)

I love that the main character is someone who does remarkable things but doesn't think they're remarkable ("Isn't that what anyone would do?" is basically her mantra). There's a lot of poking fun at books and there's a whole section about how awesome librarians are at research and how excited they get about it.

As a kid, I would have loved reading about this seemingly ordinary girl go on extraordinary adventures. As a parent, I would have immediately handed this to my tween daughter if it had been published back when she was at that age.

My only complaint is that there are so many aunts and cousins that at the end, I couldn't remember who some of them were. If I had been reading a paper book, it would have been super easy to flip back and see (and if I really cared, I could've used the search function on my Kindle), so it's a small quibble but a quibble nonetheless. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone.

January 10, 2018 – Shelved
January 10, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 9, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
August 9, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
Started Reading