Martha Bongiorno's Reviews > The Librarian of Auschwitz

The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio G. Iturbe

20636851

While Historical Fiction is not usually my go-to genre, this book has been on my must-read list for some time for obvious reasons as a school librarian. I also love the depth of this period in history so I couldn't wait to start this in 2018.

You should know before picking up this book that it will be a slow read (it took me over a month to read). Breaking between chapters to give your brain a chance to take in all the historical information may be a good idea. Be prepared to encounter a lot of characters, places, and dates. I really enjoyed the book's attention to detail; it was obvious that the author really did his research. However, I couldn't help but feel sleepy at times because of the almost-textbook feeling. It wouldn't be fair to judge the pacing of this book, though, because adding too much action or romance or adventure would probably require deviating too much from history, which would make it feel less authentic and meaningful.

Overall, I highly recommend The Librarian of Auschwitz to those who love World War II or stories of empowerment and can see this being a must read for high schoolers in a history course.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Librarian of Auschwitz.

January 10, 2018 – Shelved