Jeffrey's Reviews > The Very Picture of You

The Very Picture of You by Isabel Wolff

Oct 19, 2011

Read from October 19 to 24, 2011

If you want a good story, well crafted by a professional, to read by the fire or the pool...not both I hope...this is it.

It isn't the sort of book I would normally read and I am not sure if it fits the 'Chick Lit'...sooner that phrase goes the bettter...genre, but the story did carry me along with ease and is clearly written by an author who thinks of her readers and wants to please them. And has editors who understand that...for a change.

The story weaves around a painter and how her 'sitters' impact her life...and the complex family she comes from. It works and you do turn the pages with pleasure as the web comes apart and the love interest reveals all. And we have a mother to loathe..always a help.

I gave it 4 stars because I have just read three howlers where the story did not move and I was relieved to find a story teller...but I would say that the plot was formula driven. The writer knows what her readers wants and gives it to them...and we could guess the plot pretty much from the start. So, mechanical, yes, absolutely writing by numbers...but it works and so I recommend it as one of the few things on the shelves these days that is readable and worth what you pay for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Very Picture of You.

10/19/2011 page 200