Lisa (Remarkablylisa)'s Reviews > Bottoms Up

Bottoms Up by Holly Renee

bookshelves: january-2018

MY RATING: 4/5 STARS

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Bottoms Up by Holly Renee is probably exactly what you imagined it would be when you see the cover and probably not. I really appreciated Holly for introducing a lot of the issues curvier girls tend to have when it comes to relationships and general self-esteem. She didn't focus too much on weight issues but rather listing the insecurities our heroine experienced and also going, okay, that's not that important when you actually see the stuff she goes through in her life. This was a refreshing way to read a romance featuring bigger women because it was empowering in a way when you see fully developed characters.

It tells the story of Kennedy, a curvy photographer, who has a toxic unsupportive family, low self-esteem, and an annoyingly hot neighbor living right beside her who seems to always be catching her during her most embarrassing moments. Kennedy for me was a decent character for me. She was strong when she had to be. She was smart, unwavering, and someone that made the other person work for her heart. However, because of her insecurities, she's also seen as terribly stubborn and she kind of has that mentality that no way a hot guy would ever be interested in her and the hot guy MUST be a player and there's just no way it'll work out. While I related so much to this, reading it can be frustrating at times because you just want to grab Kennedy and cheer her on!

Tucker, our storybook hero, is fun. I saw him as the guy that Kennedy saw. He loved loud music, fooling around in the middle of the night, making sassy remarks to which Kennedy replies back with, and he was a total sweet boy next door vibe. Literally. He knew that Kennedy wasn't going to let him into her heart with open doors. Tucker played by the rules by being a friend first and building that trust so Kennedy could see that he was very serious about them actually getting it on with each other. I loved this aspect of Tucker.

And the angst....Man oh man. Tucker could be a cold son of a person when you make him mad. It broke my heart but it also taught Kennedy that she can't jump to conclusions about everything.

The writing in Bottoms Up is glorious by the way. Holly writes with fluidity that I haven't seen in such a long time. She describes actions, scenery, and emotions so well. And her conversations are real. They make you feel like you're part of the conversation as well and it would be something you would say if you were in that position.

MY RECOMMENDATION:

READ IT! Holly is definitely an author I'm going to keep tabs on and read her new releases.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bottoms Up.

January 9, 2018 – Started Reading
January 9, 2018 – Shelved
January 9, 2018 – Shelved as: january-2018
January 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Fab review Lisa! :)