Vicky's Reviews > Classified

Oct 19, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: romance, mystery, romantic-suspense
Read in October, 2011

This was a nice, quick read with lots of action, romance, and intrigue. It is also obviously part of a much larger series, though you don't need to read the others to enjoy the story, it would probably help - and if the writing is the same, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

The book stars with several pages of back story that give the reader background information into what's going on. It does help with understanding of events, but it also gets a little boggy as you wade through past events to get you to "now." The real story about Casey Manning and Levi Stark, the main characters in this episode, starts several pages in.

Levi is an agent for the Colby Agency and, as such, has been sent by the owner of the agency, Victoria, to Mexico to investigate a man named Slade Keaton. Unknown to them, Lucas, Victoria's husband, sent Casey, a CIA agent and his goddaughter to Mexico on the same case. Of course they run into each other and sparks fly. (view spoiler)

Things I didn't like about the story: the slow beginning full of back story (though admittedly, it is the only way to give the reader who hasn't read the other books in the series the information), the author's love of the phrase "en suite" (once is intriguing, multiple times is overkill especially when a simpler word would do), the fact that if you want to know how the overall thread plays out, you have to read more books (a marketing ploy I do not like).

Things I did like: the characters of Levi and Casey, though Casey could be a bit over the top at times. Still, they worked well together; it is a quick read that caught my attention and kept it (I've been reading so many YA post-apocalyptic novels of late that this was a nice break).

Overall recommendation - if you are reading the series, definitely pick this one up. If you aren't, but you enjoy category romantic suspense, Debra Webb is a good author to follow. Personally, I'd start at the beginning and read the entire series, but if you aren't into that much or can't find them all, then this is a decent book all by itself.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Classified.