~Tina~'s Reviews > Lies Beneath

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Oct 19, 2011

bookshelves: arc, mermaids-selkies, young-adult, netgalley-edelweiss, read-2012
Read on January 27, 2012

Wow, I don't think I was fully prepared going into this book. I've been on a search for a good mermaid book for awhile now and it feels really good to say that I finally found one!

Lies Beneath is all kinds of Wicked! Mermaids and Mermans in this book are deadly attractive, vicious hunters and murderous minxes. They seek humans and drain them for an emotional fix. Living off and for the energy and sensing the auras for added pleasure. They are the most beautiful and deadliest of monsters.
Calder White didn't ask for this life, but it's a life he's learned to live in. When his sisters call him back home, telling him that they finally found Jason Hancock and that sweet revenge is finally in their reach, Calder can't resist the pull and soon enough devises a plan to lure Jason into their grasps. Only Calder never planned on caring about his daughter, Lily Hancock. She's a different temptation and sensation that he wasn't prepared for.
Can he betray the only women he's ever cared about? Or will he give into who he truly is?

Anne Greenwood Brown, ladies and gentlemen! Remember that name, cause this is an author worth looking out for.
Her writing is powerfully controlled, bold and effectively unflinching. The way she moved her characters along was like watching a chess game. It was calculating, measured and determined till the very last seconds.
She kept me on my toes just waiting to see what would happen next.

All these characters were so very well developed. Evil is mighty playful and devious when it comes to Maris, Pavati and Tallulah. These girls are dangerous and disturbing and played their parts well.
I love love love that this is told in a male point of view. I don't know why but I find it more honest coming from guys, they usually say it how it is. Calder is my favorite kind of character. He plays the tortured and haunted soul who doesn't want to be a monster and even tries to resist who he is, but his thoughts often betrays him and we see a much darker side to Clader then he lets on. I admire his strength and his goodness and I respect how much he fights the twisted that lives in his very skin.
Lily is a very resilient character, she's good, kind and loves her family. She doesn't swoon on a dime which was very refreshing. Instead she goes with her gut-reaction, caution, wise. I thought it was pretty amusing how hard Calder actually had to work for her affections, you gotta love a girl who can make a man work for it;)
Together they have an undeniable hold that you can't help but fall in love with.

All in all, I thought this was a really great-great read. It has an amazing spin on this particular myth, the writing is remarkable and these characters are exciting, fresh and animated.
oh, and a big shout-out to that ending. I never saw that one coming. At all. It feels so good to read a book where I can actually still be surprised. Great twist!

Dark, edgy and completely mesmerizing! If your looking for a mermaid book, look no further, this book as it all!
I can't wait to read the next book in this series, Water Lily!

Fantastic debut!

(Arc provided by Netgalley and Random House)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies Beneath.

message 1: by ~Tina~ (last edited Jan 27, 2012 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ My 5star rating is reserved for my favorites, the ones I can read over and over again. But it doesn't mean I didn't love this. I rate how I feel about the book in general, I'm not sure of the whys;)
This was a sensational read though!!

Eunice Great review, Tina! I'm excited for Water Lily too! So glad it will be in Lily's pov, we'll get to know her better. :))

message 3: by ~Tina~ (last edited Feb 06, 2012 09:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ Eunice wrote: "Great review, Tina! I'm excited for Water Lily too! So glad it will be in Lily's pov, we'll get to know her better. :))"

Thanks:) I'm happy that it's in Lily's POV but I'm gonna miss Calder's voice. It was very refreshing:)

@Sam- Thankies! I'm ridiculously picky when it comes to this lore so it was really great to be able to read one that I actually enjoyed:)

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Feb 06, 2012 11:05AM) (new)

Sarah M Great review Tina. This looks really good! To bad for me it comes out in so long :(

~Tina~ Thanks Sarah:) You should try requesting it at Netgalley. I don't have a blog and while I don't get accepted for all the books I request, you'd be surprised how many I do end up with. You should try:)

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah M I have tried before and have been accepted for other books. I would definitely try for this one but I wouldn't be able to read it! Unfortunately my kobo vox doesn't work with Adobe Digital Editions and that's the program you need to be able to add the books onto it. I've tried so many times! My moms Kobo touch can get them on hers but she is always using it so I cant borrow it :(

I feel so bad as I requested those books but I can't even read them to review them. :(

~Tina~ Yeah, I have the same problem. I have a Kobo Touch and once in awhile I can get a book on there with the correct format but for the most part I just read it right on my computer. It's a book. It's free. I tend not to be picky LOL!!

June will be here before ya know it;)

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah M I would read it on my computer but i just cant concentrate!lol i get way to distracted by other things on here haha

~Tina~ Very true;)

Sonya Sound creepy but I'm thrilling for this. My request for this book is accepted! :D

~Tina~ Yay's!:) I hope you enjoy it!

♥Rachel♥ I loved that Lily made Calder work for it, Tina! I'm also glad that Calder fought his tendancies because I didn't know if I was going to be able to like him otherwise. I ended up really liking this. I didn't have high expectations because the thought of this was not that appealing but I saw others really liked it and I decided to give it a go. Glad I did. Great review Tina! :)

~Tina~ Thanks Rachel!:) This was a really good story. I'm looking forward to the next book, but I do wish it was still in Calder's POV. I'm sue Lily will be just as intriguing though:)