Lisa Kay's Reviews > Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor: A Novel

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa Kleypas

★★★★★ I've read this mulitple times; just had to listen to the audio. No suprise - it's great too! What follows is the same review I did of the hardcopy.

Magical Realism or Not?

Yes, I do think Kleypas 'blew a kiss toward' magical realism in Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor in the first toy store scene (an enchanted place for everyone) (view spoiler). It brought a smile to my lips.

There are a lot of other subtle things. The majority of the book takes place on an island, evocative of an exotic locale. I can almost smell the sea air and feel the breeze. The smooth, warm taste of roasted coffee Mark has made from his own labors. Sam valiantly works the soil while tending his vineyards, with a Victorian house - often a time period for magical realism - in the background. And Alex desperately needs some sort of mystical intervention. The magic of the season (both Halloween and Christmas). The letter to Santa.

But most of all, we know this is a HEA novella, so there is a sensual aura of exploration and driving force of destiny whenever Mark and Maggie interact. Yes, LK just gave a tiny nod to the genre, but it was well done and done so sweetly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“I like pessimists. They’re always the ones who bring life jackets for the boat.”
Lisa Kleypas, Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review, Lisa Kay. This was my first Lisa Kleypas contemporary read and I really enjyed it.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Dhes! I don't know how many times I've read it now. Finally listened to the audio now. Lovely. Some people were disappointed it was so short, but that has it benefits for me when I want a quick comfort read. Comes in handy after a "let down" read or day.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yeah, I know there were some who didn't like how short it was.

I wasn't disappointed in the page count - I mean, it is what it is, right? But what I was disappointed about was how expensive it was for a hardcover novella. Otherwise, I loved it and will definitely read the next book, too :)

message 4: by Lisa Kay (last edited Oct 20, 2011 10:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay Did you sign up for the give away of the first one (well, second), Dhes?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Lisa Kay wrote: "Did you sign up for the give away of the first one (well, second), Dhes?"

Not that I remember about the first one. And definitely not the second one.

Lisa Kay Well, check it out. It just went up yesterday (?) or the day before.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Where at? I haven't seen anything! **pout**

Lisa Kay Dhes, try this link Popular Authors Giveaway and scroll not quite 1/2 way down. I would give you the direct link, but that has my info, LOL!

It has this cover:
Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2) by Lisa Kleypas

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, doll! I entered, though I seldom win anything. *sigh*

Lisa Kay Me neither; though I did win one once on GoodReads, I actually have better luck on some of the blogs. And Ask Harlequin sends me something every now and then. Which reminds me, I must get back to that book... LOL!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Awesome review! I love 'magical realism.' This book calls Sleepless in Seattle to mind. Sounds like an LK must read. :o)

Lisa Kay Oh, I hope you love it as much as I did, Anna!