Banny Carstairs's Reviews > Quienes solíamos ser

19835637

liked it

RESEÑA EN ESPAÑOL
Actual Rate 3.5
Ava's (author of Love Letters to the Dead) new book was released in México and other Latin-America countries first. It'll be out in the USA (and the rest of the world, I guess) next month and you should definitely read it then.

In Search Of Us is Angie's story, she's an African-American seventeen-year-old girl who grew up without a father. Her mother, a white woman, has never been able to tell her much about him without crying.

When Angie finds out a picture of her parents as teenagers, she starts to wonder more about her father. Then she finds out she has an uncle that lives in L.A. Thinking that, since she gets no answers from her mother, she might get them from him she sets off to pay a visit.

On the other side, we learn about Marilyn, Angie's mother, about her life as a teenager, how she met James and fell in love with him.

I loved the change of perspective, each girl was going through her own pursuit. Marilyn seeking a better future while Angie looking for her roots.

This novel is a reminder of the importance of knowing our history in order to know, not only who we are, but also where we're going.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quienes solíamos ser.

Quotes Banny Liked

Ava Dellaira
“Lo curioso de la belleza es que su presencia no niega de ningún modo la verdad del sufrimiento, de la injusticia, del dolor, pero, de todos modos, se erige, por derecho propio, en su propia verdad.”

Ava Dellaira
“El mundo está equivocado. No puedes olvidar el pasado. Está enterrado dentro de ti: ha convertido tu carne en su propio armario...”

Ava Dellaira
“The funny thing about beauty, James writes, is that in no way does its presence negate the truth of suffering, of injustice, of pain, but it does stand stalwart in its own right, as its own truth.”

January 8, 2018 – Started Reading