Sharon Chance's Reviews > The Angels' Share

The Angels' Share by James Markert

Read 2 times. Last read January 8, 2018 to January 11, 2018.

Author James Markert's captivating novel, "Angels' Share," grabbed my attention in the bookstore first with it's appealing cover (I like a good looking book cover!). The description too was fascinating, and I'm so glad that I went ahead and picked it up to read.

This story, set just after Prohibition was lifted, pulls you into the lives of the McFee family of Twisted Tree, Kentucky, Once prominent maker of one of the best bourbons around, the family had fallen on hard times with the closure of the distillery and the tragic loss of their youngest son. So it is understandable that the strange occurences after the burial of a man who claimed to have special power related to Jesus himself would affect the McFee's all in different ways.

Head of the family, Barley McFee, is especially troubled and finds a renewal of faith and forgiveness as he and his son William seek to fnd the answers to the question on everyone's mind - was Asher Keating, the deceased homeless man, possibly the second coming of Jesus?

I really enjoyed this book. Markert does a fine job of describing both the post-Prohibition era as well as the absolute bare-bones production of whiskey. I also admired how Markert wove in a thread of faith that continued throughout the story. While not your typical faith-based novel, I found "Angels' Share" to be a hidden treasure of a novel. I can't wait to read more from this author very soon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angels' Share.

Finished Reading