James Islington's Reviews > A Time of Dread

A Time of Dread by John Gwynne

I read A Time of Dread a little over a month ago, and was waiting for some time to put together a more thorough review... which thanks to both Christmas and a new baby in the house(!), never eventuated. But with it being released today in the UK, I wanted to add at least some quick thoughts / a recommendation on what I felt was a great read.

Much of what I wanted to say, thankfully, has already been said – see Sebastien de Castell’s and Mark Lawrence’s reviews as pretty reflective of my thoughts – but in short, this is classic heroic fantasy that has likeable characters with nuance, and a compelling story which builds at a great pace. No caveats to that, really! Just a thoroughly excellent book that I’d be comfortable recommending to any fantasy reader.

Something I did want to single out was that, while this book is set in the same world as The Faithful and the Fallen (John Gwynne’s first series), the fact I hadn’t read those previous books didn’t diminish my enjoyment of this one at all. Characters and events from that series are evidently referenced, but I never felt in the dark or that I was missing out on making connections. So while it would still probably make sense to read The Faithful and the Fallen first (purely to experience everything in chronological order), there’s no reason that A Time of Dread can’t be an entry point into this world. Certainly for me, once I eke out some time for reading again, The Faithful and the Fallen will be high on my list to get to.

In summary - this is a great read for newcomers, and I’m gathering just as good (or maybe even better!) for existing fans. Definitely recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Time of Dread.

Finished Reading