Banny Carstairs's Reviews > Llámame por tu nombre

19835637

liked it

RESEÑA EN ESPAÑOL
Actual rate 2.5
Everybody is talking about the Oscar nominee movie that is based on this novel. But, of course, I’m not talking about the movie, especially since I haven’t even watched it yet.

I wrote a short “review” when I had just finished Call me by your name, you can still see it at the bottom of this slightly longer one. Nevertheless, I want to make a better review to expose the reasons I didn't like the love story. I am aware mine is an unpopular opinion. I've read positive review after another and I can't help but feel like I read a totally different book.

Small disclaimer: I did like the book as a whole. The writing gives you some sort of warm feeling, there were moments and quotes I enjoyed and loved.

“At one hundred, surely you learn to overcome loss and grief—or do they hound you till the bitter end?”

My favorite part is Elio's father and his speech at the end of the novel, it went straight to my heart and will remain there forever.

“We rip out so much of ourselves to be cured of things faster than we should that we go bankrupt by the age of thirty and have less to offer each time we start with someone new. But to feel nothing so as not to feel anything - what a waste!”

But let's not pretend it isn't insta-love. IT IS. And not a good one. I saw more lust and obsession than actual love. Having only Elio's point of view didn't help. I didn't relate to him, he was intense, he even admits idolizing Oliver, which is unhealthy and cringe-worthy.

Then there's the age difference issue. Why isn't anybody else uncomfortable about it? I guess the point of it was Oliver having a reason to hold back, to not act on his attraction to Elio. But then again, he acted on it and we're ignoring there's a minor involved.

original mini review
I expected to be blown away by this book but I wasn't. The writing is quite beautiful, I have to give that to André Aciman. Nevertheless, as a love story, its foundation is way too weak.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Llámame por tu nombre.

Quotes Banny Liked

André Aciman, Call Me by Your Name

Andre Aciman, Call Me by Your Name

André Aciman
“He came. He left. Nothing else had changed. I had not changed. The world hadn't changed. Yet nothing would be the same. All that remains is dreammaking and strange remembrance.”
André Aciman, Call Me by Your Name

January 8, 2018 – Shelved
January 8, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 15, 2018 – Started Reading
January 15, 2018 –
January 16, 2018 –
January 20, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Sabrina I totally recommend you to watch the movie if you haven’t already. Is so good! I prefer the movie over the book. Sorry not sorry.

Banny Carstairs Sabrina The Trash Queen wrote: "I totally recommend you to watch the movie if you haven’t already. Is so good! I prefer the movie over the book. Sorry not sorry."

I think I'll like it better too. And I will definatly watch it (:

Carmen Great review!

Banny Carstairs Carmen wrote: "Great review!"

Gracias :D

message 5: by Gordon (new) - added it

Gordon Ambos Great review, I liked the movie a lot better than the book. :/

Banny Carstairs Gordon wrote: "Great review, I liked the movie a lot better than the book. :/"

thanks! I liked it better too, not being inside Elio's head made a huge difference.