Michelle's Reviews > Gentrifier

Gentrifier by John Joe Schlichtman

I found this to be an interesting and thought-provoking read. The issue of gentrification is so complex, and like so many of today's issues, race and socio-economics make it difficult to have civil discussions and that just might lead to real solutions. The authors used themselves and others to demonstrate that the gentrifier is not one monolithic archetype and that there are many reasons that prompt individual decisions. I liked the construct that acknowledges the macro, meso and micro level factors involved in gentrification as a process and their implications on a neighnorhood's end result. No need to read if you are looking for a silver bullet answer or if you are wedded to either the idea that gentrification is solely good or always bad. Yep, once again, it's complicated. As with other complex issues I care about, I continue to learn the importance of hold conflicting ideas in my head at the same time... and be ok with acknowledging and wrestling with my own conflicting feelings... if I am going to be part of the solution, I have to own my beliefs, bias and prejudices. Always nice when there are references to places I love and have a connection with... Silver Spring, MD and Morehouse (Spike Lee is quoted often and one of the authors is Marc Lamont Hill). Thought-provoking.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gentrifier.

January 8, 2018 – Shelved