Miranda Reads's Reviews > Paddle Your Own Canoe: One Man's Fundamentals for Delicious Living

Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman

liked it
bookshelves: youtube-or-celebrity, 2018-popsugar-reading-challenge, audiobook

One thing that this book makes abundantly clear is that Nick Offerman is NOT Ron Swanson. While they may have similar woodworking skills and musings:

My life is always more delicious when I have whiskers on my face, but that might just be because those whiskers tend to accumulate bacon crumbs and scotch, rendering them literally delicious all day long.

This book covers Offerman's early life working on the family farm to his startup as a play actor to his breakout roll of Ron Swanson (the book heavily emphasized the first two and only briefly touched on the latter). We also get his strong opinion on religion, sex, being religious while having sex, pot, swearing, and did I mention religion?

Really, all religious teachings can be boiled down to: “Just be cool. Don’t be an asshole.

At times, it got a bit much (too preachy) for me but overall I enjoyed reading his take on life. There was also a heavy emphasis on gender equality, anti-homophobia and ignoring societal norms. And with that, I will leave you with a poem:

The Bratwurst: A Haiku
Tight skin flute of pork.
Juices fly, explode in mouth.
A little mustard.

Audiobook Comments
--Book was read by the author and his voice was simply excellent. It did make for a slight difficulty in distinguishing his Swanson character from his real-life Offerman persona

The 2018 PopSugar Reading Challenge: A novel based on a real person

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads

Happy Reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paddle Your Own Canoe.

January 8, 2018 – Shelved
Started Reading
January 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara Great review, Miranda! And I love your idea of reading every book written by the cast of Parks and Rec, it's one of my favorite shows :D

message 2: by Miranda (last edited Jan 10, 2018 07:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Miranda Reads Thanks :) It totally is one of mine too. I think I just have one more by Nick and a couple by Rob Lowe (Chris Trager) before I've finished the set. Next up would be books by the people on the office.

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara Miranda wrote: "Thanks :) It totally is one of mine too. I think I just have one more by Nick and a couple by Rob Lowe (Chris Trager) before I've finished the set. Next up would be books by the people on the office."

Oh, The Office should be fun too! I've read both of Mindy Kaling's books, and they were really funny. Hope you enjoy them as well :)

Miranda Reads I've read Mindy's books and B. J. Novak's books so far. Rainn Wilson is the next on my list :)

message 5: by PirateSteve (new)

PirateSteve A great review for what seems like a fun book.
Thanks for sharing.

Miranda Reads It certainly was - thank you :)