Movies, Shows,'s Reviews > Deadly Sweet

Deadly Sweet by Lola Dodge

Note: This review contains NO spoilers

Alrighty!!! Lola Dodge's books are nothing new to me. So, I was excited to get the chance to read and review this new book, especially when it revolves around magic/witchcraft and food! Well, it is more like sweets... pastries, cakes, etc. 😋 Anyways, I loved this story! Yes! I just ate it all up from beginning to end! Deadly Sweet was entertaining, fun, action-filled, and had the mystery that kept making think of "who did it"?

Without the magic and baking, I think Anise is very relatable to any young adult trying to follow their dreams. Anyways, that's where we find this main character, Anise. She's dreaming of so much more, but can she... She hopes she does when she finds and contacts a long-lost relative that owns a magic bakery.

I have to say that Lola's character development is so rich with complexities and dimensions that each character stands out individually on their own. The dialogue among the characters adds to the flow of the story, and adds to the mystery. The interactions among characters were effortless and worked well to create that chemistry among varying characters. There's enough character development of each character to give readers a whole picture of them, but yet, still keep a bit of a mystery on who they are. I found that this first book is a good introduction to the characters.

Lola's unique and creative world building allows the imagination to visualize the small town of Taos and the creative works of witchcraft that can be found throughout the story. I really enjoyed the descriptions of the varying magic making it distinct and specific to the varying magical abilities that each character has. Essentially, it was beautiful to visualize, even if some abilities are a bit creepy. 😆 As the story ended, Deadly Sweet did not end with a cliffhanger, but it did leave it open for more adventures in baking and magic for Anise and everyone else in the small magical town of Taos.

All in all, Deadly Sweet gave off some Practical Magic and Cupcake Wars kind of vibes. I enjoyed the combination of it all! It is an entertaining read that blended magic, fantasy, mystery...and baking. Lola Dodge has put together a well balanced story combining the young adult fantasy and thriller genres together. I look forward, excitedly (mind you), for the next installment, Sugar Spells, in The Spellwork Syndicate series!

Reviewer: Jasmine

Disclaimer: We received a free copy for an honest review, all is our own opinion

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Sweet.

January 5, 2018 – Started Reading