Sydney Young's Reviews > Varina

Varina by Charles Frazier

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Varina.

Quotes Sydney Liked

Charles Frazier
“—Oh, Mary said, life is mostly just what happens. Choice or chance or fate, gods or not. Like it or not. Things happen, we do what we think is in our best interests or just convenient, and then we live with the consequences.”

Charles Frazier
“Civilization balances always on a keen and precarious point, a showman spinning a fine Spode dinner plate on a long dowel slender as a stem of hay. A puff of breath, a moment’s lost attention, and it’s all gone, crashed to ruination, shards in the dirt. Then mankind retreats to the caves, leaving little behind but obelisks weathering to nubs like broken teeth, dissolving to beach sand.”

Charles Frazier
“If every generation helps the next take one step up, imagine where we might all be someday.”

Charles Frazier
“You’ll find that as you grow old, you stop bothering to hide the self you’ve been all along.”

Charles Frazier
“Children don’t judge their own lives. Normal for them is what’s laid before them day by day. Judgment comes later.”

Charles Frazier
“Whether you pick well or poorly, the act of choosing carries grief. Leaves you wondering, years later, what life might have been had you chosen differently. . . . Or even wishing you'd simply paused, taken a long, deep breath. Not allowed the personal moment and the pattern of your family and your stupid culture to shove you two-handed from behind, forcing you to stumble unbalanced into the future”

January 8, 2018 – Shelved
January 8, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 29, 2018 – Started Reading
January 29, 2018 –
March 9, 2018 –
May 28, 2018 –
10.0% "I have to admit, I’m struggling with this. I did not want to struggle with this."
July 3, 2018 –
30.0% "I had to try one more time, finally turned the hook corner. But was she as he’s describing?"
July 4, 2018 –
50.0% "Tried it again and suddenly hooked."
July 4, 2018 –
50.0% "Tried it again and suddenly hooked."
July 6, 2018 –