Blackinky's Reviews > Obsidian

Obsidian by Kimberly Loth

U 50x66

it was ok

I originally bought this book because the preview didn't seem too bad and there were some good reviews on here. At first it started out okay, but then it quick devolved into something I really had to push myself to get through. Fortunately it was short.

All of the characters act as if they are emotionally dead. They don't seem to have much of a reaction to any of the major things that happen. A lot of characters die in this book, but their deaths are usually followed up by the family playing a game together or a giant party. (view spoiler) Events in the store are just plowed through, from one thing to the next. Which is fine with me, because that meant I got to be over with it sooner.

There wasn't really a character I liked. Sid behaved like a cringy teenager despite supposedly being around 500-years-old. Aspen defined herself as someone who doesn't do anything without a good reason, but immediately after being asked why she did something, she responds with "lol idk". Tori was the stereotypical over-the-top side-kick that really doesn't do anything. Ella was the 32-year-old that hung out with teenagers. At first I thought Pearl would be the only character I could mildly tolerate, until she pulled out this gem of a comment in response to a character's rape story:

"Sid, I lived with the humans for ten years, and most girls would only share that story with someone for one of two reasons. Either they were looking for attention or they completely loved and trusted the person they were sharing it with."

I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough at that. Another tidbit that stood out to me but isn't really important to the story is the fact that Ella had a literal grizzly bear in her basement. How the hell they managed to get a full-sized grizzly bear down steps and into a basement is beyond me, even if it had been knocked out.

Overall, this story wasn't for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsidian.

Finished Reading
January 7, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Jules Haha - I was also stumped by the grizzly bear! Totally agree with your whole review.

message 2: by Kitlina (new)

Kitlina Thanks for this, I wanted to delve into it but now I've changed my mind. There are too many good books out there to read bad ones.