Cynthia McCloud's Reviews > Squashed

Squashed by Joan Bauer

Oct 18, 2011

As I said in my status update when I started reading this book, I don't usually read YA fiction. I'm pleased my friend Kyla, who leads a YA book group, has marked it to-read. I highly recommend it.

This book is delicious. The writing is so good I tasted only a little bit at a time even though I wanted to scarf it down in one sitting. I didn't want it to be gone -- I was trying to make it last.

This is easily G or PG, I will let my daughter read it though she is half the heroine's age. There are some boy-girl issues but they are handled very tastefully. I'm more concerned about the sad descriptions of the main character Ellie grieving for her mother, which had me sobbing uncontrollably at times.

The writing is so bright I can't say enough about it! The humor is dry. And the story is one I've never explored. Ellie is on a quest to grow the biggest pumpkin in Iowa. A lot about this story will resonate with growers and farmers and anyone who has ever entered anything in an agricultural or county fair. This is a must-read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Squashed.

October 18, 2011 – Started Reading
October 18, 2011 – Shelved
October 18, 2011 –
page 13
6.25% "I don't usually read YA fiction. This book is delicious. The writing is so good I taste only a little bit at a time even though I want to scarf it down in one sitting. I don't want it to be gone -- trying to make it last. If this is G or PG, I'll let Bella read it though she is half the heroine's age."
November 5, 2011 –