Katlyn Campbell's Reviews > Kitten's First Full Moon

F 50x66
Oct 18, 2011

liked it

1. Genre: Concept- shapes
2. Summary: Poor kitten, is teased by her first full moon when she believes it is a bowl of milk. She tries everything she can think of to reach that bowl of milk but only ends up scared, hurt, or even more confused. Finally, kitten returns home to find a warm bowl of milk waiting for her.
3. Critique:
a. I believe the strength of this book is its illustrations, as the text is very simple and somewhat repetitive.
b. The black and white illustrations are simple, yet have something interesting and beautiful about them. I enjoyed that the illustrations used the concept of shape, the circle, to depict as many aspects of the book as possible. You can find numerous circles on each page throughout the book.
c. The concept of shaped throughout the illustrations can be seen as early as the first page. The circles shown on this page include the kitten’s eyes, the moon, the petals and centers of the flowers and the glow of the lightening bugs in the nights. This theme continues on each page throughout the text.
4. Curriculum Connection: I believe this simple title would be best used in the preschool area. I think that it could be a great book in the area of shapes and the children would enjoy finding all of the circles on each page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitten's First Full Moon.