k reads's Reviews > Blood Work

Oct 18, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: both-sucks-and-blows, reviewed
Read from October 18 to 20, 2011

This review first appeared at So I Read This Book... at http://www.soireadthisbook.com/2011/10/quick-dirty-reviews-say-hello-to.html

A graphic novel prequel to Harrison’s popular Hollows series, this is the story of how Rachel and Ivy first meet, when after being busted down from homicide to street crime, vampire I.S. agent Ivy is partnered with newbie agent and witch Rachel. Sparks fly, heads butt and Ivy takes a bath with Kisten but there is not a lot of substance to this story and it is definitely not a stand alone. I suspect first time readers will find some of it incomprehensible. If you have read the Hollows series, you won’t find much new here. There is no real story. Someone is killing werewolves in order to use their blood for black magic. For what exactly, we don’t know. Who wants the blood? We never learn that either. There are some henchman types doing the bloodletting and killing but, oops, they get killed before anything can be learned from them. Nothing is solved at the end of the story. The art is ok, with several bulbous tit shots and a scene where Ivy and Rachel manage to jump the line at a club by acting all lesbionic. I suppose it’s titillating... if you’re a teenage fanboy but I would have preferred a story with more substance. Or at least some sort of resolution. Instead all we get is an oddly paced, slice of life that adds nothing to the series. At $25, it is not worth the price. I feel ripped off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Work.

10/18/2011 "this one is sucking hard... and I don't mean suck in the vampire sense."