Rosey Bowser's Reviews > Bringing Columbia Home: The Untold Story of a Lost Space Shuttle and Her Crew

Bringing Columbia Home by Michael D. Leinbach

U 50x66

When I started reading this, my first thought was, "I was 21 years old in 2003, why don't I remember this?" Co-author Jonathan Ward told me he wanted to write this because Columbia was the forgotten disaster. The country's attention was focused on Afghanistan and the invasion of Iraq, and unless you worked for NASA or lived in the affected swath of the South you simply didn't hear much about Columbia at all.

I found this book very accessible to someone with little technical knowledge. The authors do a fine job of tying together the scientific, logistic, and human details of a very intense and complicated recovery effort that truly had no precedent. The story is compassionately told with no sensationalism, especially in regard to the recovery of the crew's remains. If you're at all interested in space exploration or disaster management, or simply how people come together in the wake of tragedy, this book is for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Columbia Home.

Finished Reading