Siobhan Johnson's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Michele Hauf

liked it
bookshelves: stuff-i-liked

I really wanted to love this, to the point where I initially stockholm-syndromed myself into giving it four stars, but... It definitely wasn't her best.

The plot was AMAZING (I may have given it an extra star for the noise I made when the truth behind the treasure was revealed), the worldbuilding was fantastic and I liked the cat... But I have to agree with a lot of other reviewers, and say that the two main characters didn't have any depth. Josephine's character can best be summed up by the fact that she prefers the Mark Wahlberg version of the Italian Job. Xavier is a little more interesting, but I still can't entirely place my finger on what his personality was. Their romance seemed incredibly paint by the numbers, from flirtatious enemies to casual sex to happily ever after with no emotion whatsoever.

A disappointment overall, because I really genuinely loved her last one. Fun, and I'll check out the next one in the series because I do enjoy the world, but never more than surface level.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

January 7, 2018 – Shelved
January 7, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 22, 2018 – Started Reading
April 23, 2018 –
40.0% ""I could never get into the Michael Caine version." W h a t"
April 24, 2018 – Finished Reading