Deanna 's Reviews > Anatomy of a Scandal

Anatomy of a Scandal by Sarah Vaughan

bookshelves: arcs

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!!

With everything that has been going on in the world recently, I was thrilled to have the opportunity to read this timely novel.

Kate Woodcroft’s work is her life. Divorced with no children, she’s practiced law for many years. She specializes in prosecuting sexual crimes and she is no stranger to difficult cases. However, today she is in a bad mood after losing a case. But then her long time clerk, Brian comes to see her.

“What you need, is something that will take you to the next level. That will completely make your career.”

He has her attention now…

I’ve got just the sort of case you need.”

Sophie Whitehouse and her husband James have been married for twelve years and have two children together. Both grew up in affluent households and first met while attending Oxford. James is now a Junior Home Office minister. She watches her husband and the children, as they leave for the day. Her family. Her world. A world that crumbles at 8:43 that evening.

James is late and when he finally gets home from work and he tells her they need to talk. She tenses as she sees the look he gives her. It’s the same look he gave her twenty-three years earlier, right before he confessed to something that damaged their world. What he tells her now breaks her heart. But Sophie tells herself that they can get through this… they have been through worse. But it seems this is only the beginning, that the worst is yet to come, when he says....

“The story’s about to break”

Her husband has been accused of a heinous crime; Sophie is convinced he’s innocent. She’s desperate not to let these vicious lies break her family apart.

Kate is the prosecutor in the case against James. She’s determined to win and becomes obsessed with the case. It’s all she can think about. She’s usually able to remain detached but this case is unnerving her.

Will Sophie be strong enough to ask herself the hard questions? Even though she may not want to hear the answers to them?

So what happened all those years before?

So many secrets ….so many lies. But who is lying?

We learn about the characters lives through flashbacks and their individual perspectives. Hints about trauma and other incidents are slowly revealed.

“Anatomy of a Scandal” is a slow burning, character driven novel. In the beginning, there were times that my attention waned. There was a lot of legal jargon and details about the judicial system etc., but I realize that the author was trying to set the scene. I’m glad I stuck with it because before I knew it, I was fully immersed in the plot and the lives of the characters.

All in all this I thought this was an intelligent, impressive, thought-provoking and timely novel. A cautionary tale that shows we may not always know as much about someone as we think we do. A story about sex, entitlement, power, and as the author says -- “ venturing into dark places most of us would prefer not to think about”.

I read this book along with some of the members of the Traveling Sisters. Though we may not have all had the same reaction to the novel, it’s always interesting hearing the different points of view.

Thank you to Atria Books for providing a copy of this book for me to read in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anatomy of a Scandal.

Started Reading
January 6, 2018 – Shelved
January 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)

message 1: by Helga (new)

Helga Excellent review Deanna!

message 2: by JanB (new)

JanB Great review Deanna. Nice that you read this with the Sisters! I enjoy slow burners and am anxious to read this one!

Brandice Great review, Deanna! I won an ARC of this one and it was a bit slow for me, but still kept me intrigued. And I agree, it’s very timely!

RedemptionDenied Great review!!

Deanna Helga wrote: "Excellent review Deanna!"
Thank you, Helga!

JanB wrote: "Great review Deanna. Nice that you read this with the Sisters! I enjoy slow burners and am anxious to read this one!"
Thanks, Jan! I would love to hear your thoughts on this :)

Brandice wrote: "Great review, Deanna! I won an ARC of this one and it was a bit slow for me, but still kept me intrigued. And I agree, it’s very timely!"
Thank you, Brandice! I enjoyed your review!

Karin wrote: "Oh boy, can’t wait to read this one! What a great review Deanna!!"

Thank you so much, Karin!! <3 I hope you love it!!

RedemptionDenied wrote: "Great review!!"

Thanks, RD!!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Terrific review De!! I’m glad you enjoyed this one more than I did. Was fun reading with you! 😊💕

Holly  B Awesome review! I did enjoy too!

message 8: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana brilliant review as always Deanna! 😊👌🏽

Diane S ☔ Terrific review, Deanna.

message 10: by Marialyce (new) - added it

Marialyce This sounds wonderful, Deanna, and is on my list. Thanks for another great review!

message 11: by debra (new) - added it

debra Stellar review, Deanna!! I already requested this one, and thanks to your, as usual, wonderful review- I'm a-cited! <3

message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Great review, Deanna!

message 13: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Fab review, Deanna!

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna Great review, Deanna!

message 15: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Wonderful review, Deanna!

message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Great review, Deanna!

message 17: by Kaceey (new) - added it

Kaceey Great review Deanna!!

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Fab review Deanna! I’m anxious to read this!

Babydimps (Suzy) Awesome review, Deanna! There's nothing like starting the new year with great books! 😊

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Joint Love your review, Deanna! :)

message 21: by Stacey (new) - added it

Stacey Camp Great review, Deanna! I have this on my shelf and will have to finish it!

message 22: by Zoeytron (new)

Zoeytron Very tempting. Nice review, Deanna!

message 23: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Smith Excellent review Deanna, considered reading this myself 🙂

message 24: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi A really well-written review as always, Deanna! I do think this book is quite timely as well, and hope to find some time to read it :)

Susanne  Strong Super duper review Deanna! I am so glad that you loved this one! Though I did not, I appreciate you’re thoughts very much! :).

message 26: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Fantastic review, Deanna! Glad you loved it! :)

message 27: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Metcalf Great review Deanna. I tried to request this one but must have been too late as I had to 'wish for it'. Now I'll have to just wait.

message 28: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Great review, Deanna. So glad you like it and found it timely too.

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen Awesome review, D. This one is on my radar!

Deanna Lindsay wrote: "Terrific review De!! I’m glad you enjoyed this one more than I did. Was fun reading with you! 😊💕"
Thanks, Lindsay! I hope your next read makes up for this one. I enjoyed reading with you too :)

Holly wrote: "Awesome review! I did enjoy too!"
Svetlana wrote: "brilliant review as always Deanna! 😊👌🏽"
Diane S ☔ wrote: "Terrific review, Deanna."

Thanks, Holly, Svetlana, and Diane!!

Marialyce wrote: "This sounds wonderful, Deanna, and is on my list. Thanks for another great review!"

Thanks, Marialyce! I hope you enjoy it :)

debra wrote: "Stellar review, Deanna!! I already requested this one, and thanks to your, as usual, wonderful review- I'm a-cited! <3"
Thanks, my friend! I really hope you like it. <3

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

message 32: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Fantastic review, Deanna!!^^

message 33: by Taryn (last edited Jan 08, 2018 05:15AM) (new) - added it

Taryn Awesome review! You set the scene so well. I need to know what happens! Added to the list!

message 34: by Anshuman (new)

Anshuman Tiwari Very thought provoking...

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fantastic review Deanna! I have this book and will be reading it very soon.

Carol (Bookaria) Glad you enjoyed it Deanna!

Deanna Brenda wrote: "Great review, Deanna!"
Tammy wrote: "Fab review, Deanna!"
Donna wrote: "Great review, Deanna!"
Meredith wrote: "Wonderful review, Deanna!"
Paula wrote: "Great review, Deanna!"
Kaceey wrote: "Great review Deanna!!"
Karen❄️ wrote: "Fab review Deanna! I’m anxious to read this!"
Thank you, Karen, Kaceey, Paula, Meredith, Donna, Tammy and Brenda!! :)

Babydimps wrote: "Awesome review, Deanna! There's nothing like starting the new year with great books! 😊"
Thanks, Babydimps!! I hope you have some great reads so far this year too!!

Sarah wrote: "Love your review, Deanna! :)"
Thank you, Sarah!!

message 38: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fantastic review Deanna!💕😊

Deanna Stacey wrote: "Great review, Deanna! I have this on my shelf and will have to finish it!"
I hope you enjoy it too, Stacey!!

Zoeytron wrote: "Very tempting. Nice review, Deanna!"
Thanks, ZT!! :)

Miriam wrote: "Excellent review Deanna, considered reading this myself 🙂"
Thanks, Miriam. I hope you check it out :)

Candi wrote: "A really well-written review as always, Deanna! I do think this book is quite timely as well, and hope to find some time to read it :)"
Thanks you Candi!! I hope you read it. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Susanne wrote: "Super duper review Deanna! I am so glad that you loved this one! Though I did not, I appreciate you’re thoughts very much! :)."
Thanks, Susanne! I appreciate your thoughts as well :)

Nazanin wrote: "Fantastic review, Deanna! Glad you loved it! :)"
Thanks, Nazanin!!

Sharon wrote: "Great review Deanna. I tried to request this one but must have been too late as I had to 'wish for it'. Now I'll have to just wait."
Sometimes those wishes come through. Things seemed to have changed on there. I hope it comes though and that you enjoy it!

Esil wrote: "Great review, Deanna. So glad you like it and found it timely too."
Thanks, Esil. I enjoyed your review!

Jen wrote: "Awesome review, D. This one is on my radar!"

Thanks, Jen. I'd love to hear your thoughts!! :)

message 40: by Tina (new)

Tina Nice review Deanna! Always love the traveling sisters reviews. 🙂

Brenda - Traveling Sister Great review, Deanna! So glad to have read this one with you.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Loved your review, Deanna!

message 43: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Wonderful review, Deanna!

message 44: by Selene (new)

Selene Amazing review, Deanna!

Kristy Excellent review, Deanna! So glad you enjoyed this one!

Deanna paulie wrote: "the jury's out - this review is guilty of being awesome! sounds like a super sticky story."

lol..thanks, Paulie!! :)

Katerina wrote: "Fantastic review, Deanna!!^^"
Thank you, Katerina!!

Taryn wrote: "Awesome review! You set the scene so well. I need to know what happens! Added to the list!"
I hope you enjoy it, Taryn!!! thanks :)

Anshuman wrote: "Very thought provoking..."
It was a good one :)

Mary wrote: "Fantastic review Deanna! I have this book and will be reading it very soon."
Thank you, Mary!! I hope you love it!!

Carol (Bookaria) wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it Deanna!"

Thanks, Carol!!! :)

Maureen wrote: "Fantastic review Deanna!💕😊"

Thank you, Maureen!!! <3

Deanna Tina wrote: "Nice review Deanna! Always love the traveling sisters reviews. 🙂"

Brenda wrote: "Great review, Deanna! So glad to have read this one with you."

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Loved your review, Deanna!"

Maddie wrote: "Spectacular review Deanna <3 xx"

Cheri wrote: "Wonderful review, Deanna!"

Thank you, Cheri, Maddie, Jennifer, Brenda and Tina!! :)

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Wonderful review, Deanna! I hadn’t heard of this one but it sounds so intriguing!

Deanna Mackenzie wrote: "Wonderful review, Deanna! I hadn’t heard of this one but it sounds so intriguing!"
Thanks, Mackenzie!! :) It's a great read :)

Selene wrote: "Amazing review, Deanna!"
Thank you, Selene!!

Kristy wrote: "Excellent review, Deanna! So glad you enjoyed
this one!"

Thanks you, Kristy :)

message 50: by debra (new) - added it

debra Great review, Deanna. They all are!!!!

« previous 1