Stephen Biro's Reviews > Hellucination

Hellucination by Stephen Biro

Oct 17, 2011

(Review from the author)

Here's some reviews for Hellucination from other sources like Amazon and other sites that don't show up on Goodreads. When you read it, I hope you enjoy it as much as everyone else.

"An utterly surreal memoir. I'd say it was 'mindbending,' but HELLUCINATION doesn't just bend your mind, it twists it, stretches it, stabs it, and tosses it on the grill!" -- Jeff Strand, author of the upcoming book, "PRESSURE" and "WOLF HUNT" Nominated for the Bram Stoker Award in 2006, 2008, and 2010.

5 STARS ... Thrilling, terrifying read, January 3, 2012
By Miranda LunaThis review is from: HELLUCINATION (Kindle Edition)

"Hellucination" is like nothing I've ever read before. A more cinematic memoir cannot be found; Biro's book mixes religion, philosophy, pop culture, hedonism and self-induced schizophrenia into a potent stew that builds and builds in intensity as it heads toward the inevitable climax. I could *not* stop reading! I read it over the course of one very fitful night - this book is scary! The ideas it presents will give you pause and the *extremely* visual way in which he - and we - come to the conclusions drawn, worm into your skull and stay there. I don't want to give too much away, but I will say this - read with caution ... the way you view the world may be irreparably changed by the time you are through. HIGHLY recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern Divine Comedy, December 18, 2011
By SDavis - See all my reviews This review is from: Hellucination (Paperback)

With HELLUCINATION, Stephen Biro takes us on a very unorthodox odyssey through his unconscious mind and into the realm of spirituality itself. This is a harrowing and intense quest for enlightenment that takes the reader to several dark corners of human history and psychology. Depak Chopra need not apply.

Biro starts out by recounting his upbringing. He paints a surprisingly intimate portrait of fractured family life, going from one town to the next. While this period does contain some rough times for Mr. Biro, this does not play out as cliched or dark as many other bios. Instead, Biro balances the drama nicely with occasional flourishes of wry humor that keep things very lively.

Then, we get to the meat and potatoes of the book. Biro goes on a conscious effort to discover the spiritual truths of the world. He does this through determination, specific administration of psychotropic drugs and audio-visual stimulation. We're with him as his apartment is transformed into a multidimensional trip through time and space. On his journey, Biro will travel through heaven and hell, accompanied by a myriad of unconventional spiritual avatars.

The danger in a book such as this is for it to read as a self-indulgent and delusional mess. This is never the case with HELLUCINATION. Biro is painfully honest both with his strengths and his vulnerabilities, both of which play an important role in his journey. You may not agree with Biro's visions, but you cannot deny their intensity or personal authenticity. This is Biro's testimony, a first-hand account from someone who has seen things many of us never will. No light read, this is the type of book that makes us an active participant in one of the most intense quests for truth you will ever experience. And at the end, a greater sense of self. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mind-bending trip into Hell and back, November 8, 2011
By Rob Fox - See all my reviews This review is from: Hellucination (Paperback)

Wow, what a ride. Real or made up, the story is solid and well told in great detail. I found myself unable to put the book down once I started it. It was like watching a train wreck, but in a good way! I found myself cheering for the author and wanting him to stop his destructive behavior, yet understanding why he did it. I read the book over a month ago, and can't stop thinking about it. Get the book, you won't be disappointed.

The website... Rock, Shop and Pop
5 stars out of 5 Dec 5th 2011
From Rock, Shop and Pop...

Readers of this site and other similar cult movie review sites and forums will likely know Stephen Biro as the guy who runs Unearthed Films. Stephen’s been around the genre and cult movie scene for years now and through Unearthed has put out everything from Slaughtered Vomit Dolls to the Guinea Pig films to a special edition Blu-ray release of Rock N Rule. Having now authored his first book, Stephen can add self publishing to his list of accomplishments – and according to this autobiographical memoir, he can also tack ‘having done a ridiculous amount of drugs’ and ‘searching for God’ to that same list.

As unusual as it sounds, Hellucination is an aptly titled book about Biro’s self inflicted drug fueled search for a higher power. It’s a weird book, make no qualms about it, but it’s also very well written and surprisingly interesting. This is no 700 Club ‘come to Jesus’ novel, but instead a very personal document of Biro’s early years, his bootleg video operations, his personal relationships and all the toils and troubles they’ve involved, the forming of Unearthed Films and yes, his constant experimentation with pretty much every hallucinogenic substance you could care to name and then some. The fact that this leads Biro on a quest to understand God not only as a concept but as a higher power comes into play and winds up eventually driving the narrative but never overpowers things to the point where they get preachy, though those who know Biro probably expected something like this to be the last type of book he’d ever write.

The fact is, though, that as bizarre and frequently filthy as this book can get, it really is a book about his finding salvation in the most unusual of ways. In order to get there, however, Biro pushes the limits of his own consciousness and this often becomes the focus of the book. Told in the first person, as if Biro was guiding you through a trip through his own memories, the book turns out to be part horror story, part psychedelic science fiction parable and part morality tale but as bizarre as it all is, it’s never dull. Add to that the fact that Biro can actually write and that here he shows a real knack for building mood and atmosphere and this 165 page memoir turns out to be, if nothing else, a really interesting read. You can’t always tell ahead of time where Biro is going with this, as the book gets stranger and stranger before it starts to make cohesive sense but the narrative structure is well put together and the man can turn a phrase, all of which helps to put you in a frame of mind frighteningly similar to where he had to be at the time while experiencing all of this himself.

Don’t be turned off by the religious aspect of Biro’s book. Hellucination doesn’t moralize nor does it cram any self righteous philosophy down your throat, rather it explains in sometimes frighteningly honest terms one man’s own personal journey through a drug addled haze and his own personal conclusions as to what else is out there, just outside this physical plane.

Website Review... CEO of HorrorNews.net Nov 15th 2011
5 stars plus...

Hellucination – Stephen Biro

It’s not everyday that you receive word that the owner of one of the darkest distributors of disturbing films is releasing a book about God and his devotion. In fact, it was this very idea and “that” the book was about much of his drug-filled years that intrigued me enough to say, this is something worth checking out. Now I use the term “drug-filled” with caution as what might be perceived as the rambling of stoned-filled nights are actually very well-versed, written, and insightful. No, not that pretentious kind of stuff that you often get when film students write books filled with goobly gook about the intricacies of emotional framing and directorial purpose. “Hellucination” is actually very well laid out with a tone that takes you on as a friend and not a chimp that relishes in its own use of colorful words. “Hellucination” is a trip, but in a way that connects fiction to reality. You might even say your awakening moment for the “Neo” in all of us.

Stephen Biro is your tour guide here as he quickly brings you into a hazy filled world with devils and angels standing before him. This hallucinary interchange may not be real but it’s real at the time to the author of this book. Though every superhero need an origin, so Biro takes the hands of readers thru his often turmoiled past. In many cases, there is much that readers can relate to if even in just those glorious teen angst years. With all this historical input we are merely introduced to the fact that Biro began just as we did with challenges, triumphs and failures. The drug years may not be something everyone encounters but the details are nothing new in the scope of things.

It is clearly stated before we get too much into the inter dimensional metaphysics of his tale that he has an absolute belief that there is a God and that there is a devil. That’s alot to take in if you aren’t attuned into this way of thinking. But either way, these words reach you with a purpose that deserves to be heard.

“Hellucination” is actually alot to take in. I say this because when it starts getting into the drug trip adventures, it’s equivalent to watching a bunch of films at once. In that respect it makes it harder to review from a specific sort of way. Biro describes each event as he indulges into another drug of choice that instantly leads to a vision or experience that compares much like Alice dropping into Wonderland. Morpheus from the Matrix enters into the picture and even offers a selection of pill choices. Though the book are demons, the devil and a variety of dreamy characters that take Biro on a mission or an adventure that at times is comparable to Dante’s inferno. The pages jump out in full color if only from a literary stand point. I’m guessing that 1 or 2 chapters alone could influence the basis for a cult driven film on there own. You might even have the notion that due to the number of films in jested that originate from the darkest corners of the world, that ones’ mind is infected slowly as a product of effect.

I can probably relate to that on my own accord which influences other works of mine, whether directly or indirectly. I certainly have a hard time dreaming up effective nightmares that invade rather than entertain.

After all is said and done, what this book really excels to is ones personal journey into their own demons and hell; awakening to the signs of God’s glory and the choices we make.

I’m not sure if this kind of journey is expected of every individual looking for salvation as the means to get there is pretty harsh. Take your pick….near death, excessive drugs, piles of smut and debauchery, or even the simple route of a hard life that shapes an individual into salvation.

“Hellucination” is a powerful read. In fact, it might distinctly appeal to fantasy readers, film lovers and lovers of fiction. We get it that this is one man’s experience that he decides to share. And we get it that the sharing is one of truth and revelation. Though being one who has never used any sort of illegal drugs myself, I have to share the experience from a viewing perspective. I’m not sure this will ever share the bookshelf in the local Christian store, but it is refreshing to experience a hell ride that results in a positive message of hope.

Biro writes passionately with a purpose… you may end of ripping your eyes out afterwards though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hellucination.