Melanie's Reviews > The Diviners

The Diviners by Libba Bray

bookshelves: audible, fantasy, young-adult, paranormal, mystery, historical, read-in-2019, buddy-reads, lgbtqiap, magic, horror, romance, ghosts
Recommended to Melanie by: Madalyn (Novel Ink)

“The Diviners must stand, or all shall fall.”

The Diviners is a historical, paranormal fantasy set in 1920s New York City! And in this alternative history, there are people called Diviners who have magical abilities that are hidden from the world. And these powers will come in handy as a demon like being who was summoned from a Ouija board starts ritualistically killing people, while also bringing upon the apocalypse.

Evie O’Neill - Sent to NY to stay with her uncle after causing too much of a scene back home. And she has the magical ability to read objects.

Memphis Campell - Black, extremely charming and good looking, taking care of his little brother with his aunt after the loss of his mother, and in the past he had a healing ability.

Sam Lloyd - Rakish Russian Pickpocket who can make it so others do not notice him, but he is looking for answers about what happened to his mother and the project she was working on.

Theta Knight - A Dancer who ran away from a terrible past and is trying to make a new life for herself were she is in charge of her own fate.

Henry DeBois - Theta’s roommate, queer, and a musician. Henry has the magical ability to dream walk, but you do not learn a lot about it in this book.

Mabel Rose - Evie’s best friend and pen pal, who has the biggest of all crushes.

Jericho Jones - Works for Evie’s uncle Will, but may be keeping a big secret of his own.

Naughty John - Does his work with the apron on. I’ll see myself out, bye.

But we follow all of these characters, while they are slowing pieces together the clues about Naughty John’s killing, while also trying to figure everything out before it is too late. And friends? I’m going to be straight up with you, this book was pretty scary. Full disclosure, I am a big baby, but I legit read this book with the light on, during the daytime, every single day. But following along and trying to figure out what is happening, while also trying to learn about these characters and what they are able to do? It surely made for a fun reading experience.

I really loved the cast completely. All of them, truly. But Memphis really won me over very early on. First off, I am such a sucker for anything with healing powers, so he and his mystery just stole my heart. Also, he is such a good brother, and seeing him protect Isaiah really was everything to me. Also, Isaiah having the wildest powers of them all? Yeah, that’s a thing. Also, I really loved his development with Theta. We stan a power couple in this house, always and forever.

Besides the characters, I think the thing I liked most about reading The Diviners, as sad and heartbreaking as it is to say, is that we are almost in the year 2020 and not a lot has changed. From racism, and people hiding their hateful ideas behind the cover of God, to sexism, and the idea that a silent woman is the only women worth hearing, to being pure, and the pedestal that white men are willing to put their bloodline on, this is all very much a thing in 2020, even if it is not as loud. I think Libba Bray really did something so impressive with this story, and even though this book is almost a decade old and the parallels are still rampant, I still really respect her putting so much into this book.

Overall, this really did blow me away. I had my doubts going in that I wouldn’t like it, or that it wouldn’t hold up, but it truly did, and it truly made for an amazing reading experience. I can’t wait to see what the next book has in store, and I can’t wait to meet a character named Ling Chan that everyone promises me I’m going to fall in love with.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Content and Trigger Warnings: brief animal cruelty and death, talk of domestic abuse and sexual assault in the past, abortion, loss of a loved one in the past, drugging, grief depiction, abandonment, talk of slavery, racism (always in a negative light), slaughter house setting/scene, death, murder, and ritualistic killings.

Buddy read with Madalyn, Jane, & Chelsea! ❤

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diviners.

January 6, 2018 – Shelved

August 5, 2019 – Shelved as: romance
August 5, 2019 – Shelved as: ghosts
August 7, 2019 –
page 499
86.33% "Okay, Theta and Henry are my favorites.
"
August 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)

Eliza sounds like fun i can't wait for the new book

Alex (Iseultslibrary) How the hell did I not know you had a YouTube channel!? Brb gonna go subscribe

Maja Madsen I’ve had The Diviners and Lair of Dreams on my tbr for waaaaay to long. I can’t wait to read them with y’all ❤️

message 4: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. Pitchford Just grabbed a copy of this! Excited to start the series.

Crystal I cannot wait to reread this books alongside you ladies ❤️😍

Ilsen Leon Yay I’m finally going to read this series! My friend has been raving about it

Lance UGH IM READY. I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS, THIS IS MY SECOND FAVE SERIES OF ALL TIME!

Jessica So excited for this!

Melanie Eliza wrote: "sounds like fun i can't wait for the new book"

My heart! I hope we both love it, Eliza! 💗xx

Melanie Alex (Iseultslibrary) wrote: "How the hell did I not know you had a YouTube channel!? Brb gonna go subscribe"

*hides forever while also loving you forever* 💗xx

Melanie Maja wrote: "I’ve had The Diviners and Lair of Dreams on my tbr for waaaaay to long. I can’t wait to read them with y’all ❤️"

You are such a blessing, Maja! I can't wait to read them with you! 💗xx

Melanie D.L. wrote: "Just grabbed a copy of this! Excited to start the series."

Yesss! I'm so excited, love! 💗xx

Melanie Crystal wrote: "I cannot wait to reread this books alongside you ladies ❤️😍"

We are so excited to read alongside YOU, sweetheart! Thank you for blessing us! 💗xx

Melanie Ilsen wrote: "Yay I’m finally going to read this series! My friend has been raving about it"

My heart! I am so excited to watch you fall in love with it, too, Ilsen! 💗xx

Melanie Lance wrote: "UGH IM READY. I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS, THIS IS MY SECOND FAVE SERIES OF ALL TIME!"

EXCUSE ME? This is all I needed to hear, Lance! Thank you for always blessing me. 💗xx

Melanie Jessica wrote: "So excited for this!"

Yesss! We are so excited, too, sweetheart! 💗xx

message 17: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick I’m excited

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads) I! Cannot! Wait!

kasey Omg this became one of my favorite series of all time!! I am so excited for the new book, and a (re) read along sounds perfect!

message 20: by Aoife - Bookish_Babbling (last edited Jun 17, 2019 03:28PM) (new) - added it

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Oooh I sure hope I can join in!
This series has been on my radar since I read the Gemma Doyle series way back when. I love a back-in-the-day story especially if there can be some magical elements woven in...i dont think I've read anything from this time period before. Bring on the 1920s & flappers ♡

message 21: by Elle (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elle (ellexamines) yes yes yeeeees!! I love this book so much (and I hope it's a better experience for you than her first book, lmao)

message 22: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany (Brittsbookcloset) I can't wait to read this! When does it start

message 23: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny Omg! I kid you not! I JUST checked out the audiobook for this from my library! :O Well, change of plans lol

Madalyn (Novel Ink) Is it August yet?! 💖

Alexa Can’t wait to join you guys!

Ashley I’m going to join and read along, this has been on my physical TBR for a long time!

Melanie Aaahhhh this book is amazing I hope you love it!!!

Alicia So excited to reread this, it’s one of my favorites

Lacey So excited for this!

Tonya (Rustic Book Reviews) Just added it to my current reading so I can start it on the 3rd!

message 31: by Elle (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elle (ellexamines) Oh, YES. so excited to see what you guys think!!!

message 32: by Brian (new) - added it

Brian Ball This is a whole new world 😂😍

Nicole Collins I'm loving it so far!!!

A. Busta I read this one when it had a different cover. Great book.

Tonya (Rustic Book Reviews) I got delayed but I am still reading it. I will finish before the 16th so I can join. Life happens sometimes.

message 36: by Tib (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tib I'm reading it now and absolutely loving it! Probably should have waited until my parents came home from their vacation though haha

message 37: by Tib (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tib Also, I vote that we bring back the lingo and flapper attire next year. It'd be swell!