Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader's Reviews > Love and Ruin

Love and Ruin by Paula McLain

bookshelves: arcs, kindle-version, hist-fic, historical-fiction, recent-favorites, 2018-reads

5 this is exactly the kind of historical fiction I can sink my teeth into stars to Love and Ruin! 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

Happy Publication Day to Love and Ruin!

Love and Ruin is exactly the kind of historical fiction I can sink my teeth into because of the time period, the characters, the flawless writing, and the tumultuous love story between Martha Gellhorn and Ernest Hemingway.

Hemingway is a favorite author of mine, and I’m always game to learn more about his life. My high school English teacher assigned A Farewell to Arms for summer reading, and he was a fan of Hemingway’s works and so enthusiastic to share this reading experience with us that I was quickly enamored, too.

I related to some aspects of Martha Gellhorn’s character right away. She wants nothing more than to please her father with her writing and for him to see her as a success. Even after his death, this drives her and propels her forward. Martha is a strong and unusual woman, especially for her time. The Author’s Note provides further insight into Martha’s life.

Martha Gellhorn, a journalist and award winning war correspondent arrested for going to places “in the field” where she was not allowed, is both intriguing and inspiring to me. What transpires in her marriage and its resulting falling apart had me transfixed. Gellhorn and Hemingway compete for jobs, vying for attention and acceptance. At this point, Hemingway’s life is becoming more unwound and unstable. The love and obsession between Martha and Ernest was palpable and electrifying, and as is the case with many marriages and affairs, sometimes from the greatest of highs, the greatest of lows are found in the end.

Overall, Love and Ruin is a beautifully written account of the non-traditional love story between a formidable woman and a formidable man.

Thank you to Paula McLain, Random House/Ballantine, and Netgalley for the ARC. Love and Ruin is available now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Ruin.

January 6, 2018 – Shelved
January 6, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 26, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
January 26, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
February 5, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read-owned-books
April 29, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
May 1, 2018 – Shelved as: recent-favorites
May 1, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reads
May 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

message 1: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Awesome! Can't wait to read this one. Loved Circling the sun.

message 2: by KAS (new)

KAS Wonderful review, Jennifer! You sure have been hitting the historical fiction jackpot lately ;) Glad you loved! xoxo

message 3: by Crumb (new) - added it

Crumb Great review, Jennifer!

message 4: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Excellent review Jennifer! So glad that you enjoyed :).

Marialyce This was such a great story, one that I am glad you so enjoyed, Jennifer.

message 6: by DeAnn (new) - added it

DeAnn Another great review Jennifer. I will read this one someday . . .

Tammy Wonderful review, Jennifer! Yes! I agree

message 8: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana a fantastic review Jennifer!! 👌🏽👌🏽

Julie I can't wait to read this one! Great review, Jennifer!!

message 10: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Glad yo enjoyed, Jennifer! Great review!

message 11: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Terrific review, Jennifer! I loved both of McLain's other novels, so am really excited to read this one too!

JanB Fantastic review Jennifer! I'm glad we both enjoyed this one! 😊

message 13: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Wonderful review Jennifer!💜

Jaline - (on 2/3 hiatus) Lovely review, Jennifer! So far I have read yours and Jan's reviews and I am now convinced I have to read this one! :)

message 15: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson This sounds like my kind of historical fiction. I’m adding. Key West is my favorite place to chill. I go and see The Hemingway House every time I’m there. Fabulous review, Jennifer!

Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• Great review, hun! xx

message 17: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Nice review. This sounds like a great book. Historical fiction that teaches or explains something Always gets my vote.

message 18: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Excellent review, Jennifer. I’m just reading this one now.

message 19: by Theresa Alan (new)

Theresa Alan Great review!

message 20: by Celia (new) - added it

Celia Great review Jennifer TH... already on my list

message 21: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Beautifully written Jenn! I'll need to add.

message 22: by Cindee (new) - added it

Cindee Great review! I've added it to my list ;)

message 23: by Kara (new) - added it

Kara Hansen What a fantastic review- I’ve added it to my list!

message 24: by Cheri (new) - added it

Cheri Wonderful review, Jennifer, I'm still debating on reading this one, but I loved your review - which was also fairly convincing!

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Lovely review!

message 26: by Ana O (new)

Ana O Awesome review Jennifer.

Angela M Fabulous review, Jennifer. Love your connection to Hemingway’s writing.

Diane S ☔ Very nice review, Jennifer.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I’m so sorry I’m behind on comments. I appreciate them all so much! I am hoping to catch up this weekend! ♥️

Jen wrote: "Awesome! Can't wait to read this one. Loved Circling the sun."

Thanks, Jen! I have that one to-read and can’t wait for that experience!

KAS wrote: "Wonderful review, Jennifer! You sure have been hitting the historical fiction jackpot lately ;) Glad you loved! xoxo"

Thanks, KAS! I really have been so luck! Xo 😘

Crumb wrote: "Great review, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Crumb!

Kendall wrote: "Excellent review Jennifer! So glad that you enjoyed :)."

Thanks, Kendall! Me too!

Marialyce wrote: "This was such a great story, one that I am glad you so enjoyed, Jennifer."

Thanks, Marialyce! It was a great story!

DeAnn wrote: "Another great review Jennifer. I will read this one someday . . ."

Thanks, DeAnn! Lol at the someday! I know how it is!

Tammy wrote: "Wonderful review, Jennifer! Yes! I agree"

Thanks, Tammy! Happy you enjoyed too!

Svetlana wrote: "a fantastic review Jennifer!! 👌🏽👌🏽"

Thanks, Svetlana! 💕

Julie wrote: "I can't wait to read this one! Great review, Jennifer!!"

Thank you, Julie! I can’t wait for your thoughts!

Meredith wrote: "Glad yo enjoyed, Jennifer! Great review!"

Thanks, Meredith!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Candi wrote: "Terrific review, Jennifer! I loved both of McLain's other novels, so am really excited to read this one too!"

Thanks, Candi! I think you are in for a treat!

JanB wrote: "Fantastic review Jennifer! I'm glad we both enjoyed this one! 😊"

Thanks, Jan, and me, too!

Kaceey wrote: "Wonderful review Jennifer!💜"

Thanks, Kaceey! 💗

Jaline wrote: "Lovely review, Jennifer! So far I have read yours and Jan's reviews and I am now convinced I have to read this one! :)"

Thanks, Jaline! I hope you enjoy it like we did!

Jennifer wrote: "This sounds like my kind of historical fiction. I’m adding. Key West is my favorite place to chill. I go and see The Hemingway House every time I’m there. Fabulous review, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Jennifer! I want to go to Key West and chill, too!

Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• wrote: "Great review, hun! xx"

Thanks, Jenny! Xo

Elaine wrote: "Nice review. This sounds like a great book. Historical fiction that teaches or explains something Always gets my vote."

Thanks, Elaine! Yes, I love it when that happens!

Esil wrote: "Excellent review, Jennifer. I’m just reading this one now."

Thanks, Esil!

Theresa wrote: "Great review!"

Thanks Theresa!

Celia wrote: "Great review Jennifer TH... already on my list"

Thanks, Celia! Can’t wait for your thoughts!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Holly wrote: "Beautifully written Jenn! I'll need to add."

Thanks so much, Holls!

Cindee wrote: "Great review! I've added it to my list ;)"

Thanks, Cindee! I am excited for your thoughts on it!

Kara wrote: "What a fantastic review- I’ve added it to my list!"

Thanks, Kara! I hope you enjoy too!

Cheri wrote: "Wonderful review, Jennifer, I'm still debating on reading this one, but I loved your review - which was also fairly convincing!"

Thanks Cheri! I look forward to your thoughts if you decide to read it.

Rachel wrote: "Lovely review!"

Thanks, Rachel!

Ana wrote: "Awesome review Jennifer."

Thanks, Ana! 💕

Angela M wrote: "Fabulous review, Jennifer. Love your connection to Hemingway’s writing."

Thanks, Angela! I had the perfect introduction!

Diane S ☔ wrote: "Very nice review, Jennifer."

Thanks, Diane!

message 32: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Great review just checked out the audiobook from the library.

message 33: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I'm glad you loved it! Another fantastic review <3

Trudy Just finished it, loved it, too!