Sara (sarabara081)'s Reviews > Withering Hope

Withering Hope by Layla Hagen

liked it

You can find more of my reviews at Forever 17 Books.

Oh, survival romances. Stories or survival are already quite fascinating but when you though in a little romance, especially a forbidden type, it’s hard for me to resist. I haven’t read many of these stories though, mostly getting my fix through movies and tv. But when this book popped up on my radar with a jungle backdrop I just knew I had to read it asap!

Aimee is a week away from her destination wedding in Brazil. On her way down to prep for the special day, the private plane crashes into the jungle, leaving herself and the pilot Tristan trapped with no means of communication or escape. They quickly need to find means of survival with identifying safe food to eat, ways to get water, dry wood for a signal fire, and avoiding jungle critters that could hurt them. And they do so without too much difficulty, in the beginning at least. Time moves incredibly quick, perhaps a little too fast for me to really get the full despair a situation like this would cause and to really feel those emotions from the characters. But I liked following along with their ways to survive, despite the need to suspend some major disbelief a time or two (or ten), which I honestly expect a little in stories like this to be honest.

As for the characters – Tristan is a vet with some serious PTSD and Aimee was the only thing that helped the terrifying nightmares he experienced every night. Of course Aimee is engaged and about to be married to her childhood friend and love and she feels torn and guilty for her growing feelings for Tristan. But it was inevitable for these two. They were all they had in that jungle and they both took such care of each other and putting themselves on the line to protect one another.

All in all, this was a nice quick read. Even though I had a few connection issues with parts of the story, I was still thoroughly committed to the outcome for these two. It really makes me want to grab up other books with this trope and to reread On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves, which is a highly addictive survival story with forbidden love thrown in the mix if you haven’t already read it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Withering Hope.

January 5, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
January 5, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
January 6, 2018 – Started Reading