Vonprice's Reviews > Sky Chasers

Sky Chasers by Emma Carroll

bookshelves: historical, middle-grade

This is a delightful story based on the struggles of the Montgolfier family to win the race to create a hot air balloon, to satisfy the command of King Louis XVI. It was written by one of my favourite authors, Emma Carroll, based on a story idea which won Chicken House's "big idea" competition.

As always, Emma has used her unique talent to create an entirely believable voice for her main protagonist, and weaves a spell-binding tale that transports you back to 18th century France. From the first page I loved the resourceful, brave and intelligent Magpie, a girl who has survived the death of her mother and disappearance of her father. She is thrust into the centre of the Montgolfiers' quest when, first she is sent to steal from their home and subsequently she daringly rescues the kind young Pierre from a flyaway prototype.

The plot which involves English spies, the threat of the guillotine, a couple of comic but essential pet fowl and just the right amount of jeopardy, absolutely rockets along. As with all the best children's books, there is a lovely underlying theme of the redemptive power of kindness, written with the lightest of touches.

I think this book would appeal equally to girls and boys throughout KS2, and could imagine it being used as a class reader to accompany DT or Science topics. I will certainly be taking a copy into my school.

Emma Carroll, je vous salue!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sky Chasers.

January 6, 2018 – Started Reading