Miranda Reads's Reviews > You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life

You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero

bookshelves: 2018-finer-books-club-reading-chall, audiobook

Served with a healthy dose of humor, a smidge of sarcasm and plenty of great quotes, Jen Sincero dishes her take on self-help, self- acceptance and (of course) self-love.

This has all the hallmarks of a Self-Help book - cheesy one-liners and a perky "You CAN do it" attitude. I honestly expected it to be just another cookie cutter how to become the real you. Bleh. Needless to say, I was totally ready to hate it.

Yet, the more I read, the more I enjoyed hearing her advice. She's hilarious. She's witty. And she's pretty badass. There were quite a few quotes that articulated concepts that I never fully thought through before:

You are responsible for what you say and do. You are not responsible for whether or not people freak out about it.

Her real life tie-ins and her examples were absolutely spot on. I busted a gut when she started calling out all those little excuses we tell ourselves:

Sally always says She can't find a good single man because there aren't any left out there. Really Sally? All the good single men were hunted down and killed so no matter how many dates you go on or how many times you put on sexy high heels and hang around home depot, you'll never bump into one? Was the awesome guy your friend Deb just met the lone survivor of the Good Guy Genocide?

Absolutely hilarious from cover to cover.

Audiobook Comments
--- Read by the author. She freaking nailed it. Great tone, great comedic timing. I loved the way she'd say all the funny a asides in her "attitude" voice.

The Finer Books Club - 2018 Reading Challenge: An audiobook read by the author

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Are a Badass.

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Aaron (new)

Aaron "If you’re serious about changing your life, you’ll find a way. If you’re not, you’ll find an excuse."

Good one, very similar to this one:

“If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.”
― Jim Rohn