Shadazz's Reviews > Less than Zero

Less than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis

Oct 17, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, bookcrossing

When I read the story of Clay Whats-his-last-name and his L.A. buddies I think of The Great Gatsby. No surprise because they are both a sort of satirical, depiction of lifestyles decades apart; yet somehow similar. This would be a very general likeness, I could go on talking about the common elemets the two books have for me: the importance of billboards and their text or images (Elvis billboard and Dr. Don't-remember-his-name with the big eyes billboard); the detachment of the narrator; Running over things with cars. But I'm not too sure about it.

Instead I'll say that I liked the setting of this novel. First of all Clay lives in Mulholland, refrences to this hills where brought to me first by the David Lynch's movie of the same name. So whenever they mentioned Mullholland Dr. I could not help picturing Laura Harring walking down the hill after a car accident, or picturing her house with a pool, or Winkie's. Whatever novel has this setting is worth a reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Less than Zero.

October 17, 2011 – Started Reading
October 17, 2011 – Shelved
October 17, 2011 –
page 115
55.29% "they remind me a little of the great gatsby, giant billboard caughts Clay's attention over and over. Detached causal tone, no comments, no opinions, shrugs."
October 18, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011