Billy Buttons's Reviews > Looking for Dei

TITLE: Looking for Dei
AUTHOR: David A. Willson
Star Rating: 4.5

REVIEW
Looking of Dei by David A. Wilson is a wonderfully exciting fantasy novel for young adults and, perhaps, slightly older. Well-written with a good balance of descriptive prose and speech, it follows a young girl called Nara Dall in a story packed with magic, adventure, and, best of all, slowly unfolding secrets that will thoroughly hook any teenager in.

The most striking element with this novel is how well Willson knows his YA readers. He is excellent at balancing pace with character development; and he knows how important it is to populate his story with characters his young readership will cheer on all the way to the exciting ending. Nara, for example, is the perfect hero for a story like this: she’s loyal, trustworthy and a little bit reckless. Perfect!

The writing style is fast-paced and flowery prose are, thankfully, kept to a minimum. However, in the first half of the book, the author works hard to describe character and setting in an interesting way. Take her description of Mykel: But the scar remained on Mykel's upper lip, and every time he gazed at himself in a clear pool of water, he was reminded that he was broken at birth. Twisted. Different. Nara saw it every day, the ever-present mark of Mykel's inferiority when compared to the others—the boys with normal faces.

There were plenty of twists and turns to keep me interested and the characters (good and evil) were interesting and well developed. The ending was also excellent and, closing my computer, I knew I’d be happy to open another of this author’s books.

Who do I recommend this book to? Well, most children aged 13 – 18 would, I think, enjoy it. Any child who enjoyed Rowling’s Harry Potter, Dashner’s The Maze Runner or the character-driven Divergent books of Veronica Roth, will get a lot from this thrilling, slightly dark, novel.

TO SUM UP
‘Willson is such a clever, clever writer. He’ll pull you in, mess with you a little and, then, just when you think you have a handle on the story, he’ll pull the rug from under you. Wonderful stuff!’

A ‘Wishing Shelf’ Book Review
www.thewsa.co.uk
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Dei.

Finished Reading
January 6, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by David (new) - added it

David A Willson Thanks for the review, Billy. Glad you enjoyed it!