Vicky Who Reads's Reviews > A Darker Shade of Magic

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

bookshelves: book-club

4 stars

I really liked this! It was magical and dark and luscious and very well written. The magic managed to chill me to the bone, igniting fear in my veins with the promise of purity yet darkness without humanity to balance it.

A Darker Shade of Magic is a masterpiece, really. It's very well written and structured nicely, with a voice unique to Schwab as it is interesting. I think the magic system, which is quite complicated, was explained very nicely, although I felt there could have been a little less exposition in the beginning of the novel.

Yet, I felt like the emotional aspect of the novel was missing. Would I have cared or cried if one of the characters died? No, not really. It's the same case as what happened with the This Savage Song duology--I thought it was very well crafted and it was exciting and action-y, yet I felt no real connection with the characters.

It's something that I've missed from Schwab's work that I'd like to see. Despite this, I will definitely endeavor to read the sequels to this novel and be once again absorbed into these luscious worlds.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Vicky Who Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Darker Shade of Magic.

January 6, 2018 – Started Reading