Olivia Williford (LivTheBookNerd)'s Reviews > Rebel with a Cupcake

Rebel with a Cupcake by Anna Mainwaring

liked it
bookshelves: arcs, 2018-releases, for-review, i-own, ya, 2018-reads

My rating: 3 stars

My full review: https://livthebooknerd.blogspot.com/2...

~~~~~~

Hey, guys!

I was sent this book for an honest review by KCP Loft. Thank you KCP Loft for this lovely book! If you'd like to see me unbox packages and haul the books I acquire randomly, then follow me on Instagram! I post them live the day I get them! {click here to follow!}

This debut by Anna Mainwaring was a roller coaster of sass and body positivity. Overall, I thought this was a cute summer-y contemporary, but there were some aspects that really let me down. There were some character issues, some pacing issues, and some personal opinions that got in the way of this books 5-star rating.

I originally really enjoyed Jess's character, but she kind of went downhill and annoying. However! I do think that her attitude throughout the book was a good representation of how young girls allow their insecurity get to them. I think that this was a good representation of how the opinions of others can lead the strongest and carefree girls to allow themselves to become something they aren't. However, the changes that Jess went through were just so fast. Because it was so fast, I felt like it was a bit counterproductive because the drastic changes that she went through were just so quick.

Granted, I'm sure some girls are capable of going through drastic and quick changes, but it almost seemed unrealistic in this book. If the changes to her physical self was actually over a longer period of time, I felt like the book didn't convey it well enough for me to actually figure that out. It just felt so fast.This book is just short enough that I thought that it would have been more clear if the time change had been more clear. I just found it really unrealistically paced.

I just want to put it out there that I loved Jess. I think she's a pretty great character. She's realistic, she's spunky, she has a fantastic sassy attitude, and she has great friends who care about her. Her narration style is so fun to read and I basically read Rebel With A Cupcake in a couple sittings. I loved her so I wanted to continue the story. She was just so fun to "be" with. I loved how she stood up for herself and how different she was from the YA contemporary MC mold. However, the other characters in the books were just so easy to forget. I actually forget all of their names. They weren't as fleshed out as Jess was and they were just there. I wish the charcters in the book were more memorable. I think that would have added to the story. They were just very cliche and two-dimentional.

Overall, this book was average but it had a great message about mental health and body positivity. It wasn't my favorite YA contemporary, but I'm glad that I read it. If you love books about body positivity, books with great sassy characters, and fun coming of age stories, then this is for you!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel with a Cupcake.

January 5, 2018 – Shelved
January 7, 2018 – Shelved as: for-review
page 46
page 46
page 56
25.93% "I love her flirty sass. I’m LIVING for it. Idk what Alex’s motives are, but I hope they’re good. “Burnt caramel eyes”? Uh hello!"
page 64
29.63% "I love how she narrates"
page 106
January 8, 2018 –
page 136
page 138
63.89% "I didn’t need to know about her anti-body hair results..."
page 146
67.59% "Okay she is far from herself and it happened in so short a time..."
page 188