Malia's Reviews > The Wife Between Us

The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks

bookshelves: mystery-suspense
Read 2 times. Last read January 5, 2018 to January 11, 2018.

The Wife Between Us was another mystery that received A LOT of attention since its recent publication, and though it wasn't as inventive as I had hoped, it definitely held my attention. I guess I should mention that I am growing especially fussy when it comes to reading and reviewing crime fiction, a development about which I am a little sad. I read so much of it and write in the genre myself, I often see plot twists coming a mile away, which can spoil it for me even though I wish this were not so. It remains my favorite genre to read, so I am always excited to come across a mystery that has me guessing until the end. Long story short, this was not the case here. That being said, I didn't really mind so much. I was curious more about the way the central issue would be resolved rather than its unveiling, which I had partially guessed. The writing and plotting is good, and I am always impressed when two authors collaborate on a book, something I cannot imagine doing successfully myself. I would be interested to see whether they will work together again and would definitely like to read the result.
The story in The Wife Between Us may seem fairly obvious from the title alone, but there is definitely more there than meets the eye. I liked the way the main character developed as the story progressed and more and more of her past was unveiled. I don't want to say too much about the plot, because I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I would love to know what you thought of the "big reveal" of sorts, and whether you saw it coming, if you've read the book already. Also, if you have read any of Pekkanen's previous books, which ones would you recommend? Her style is, for lack of a better word, very readable:-)
I just realized I wrote this review not actually saying all that much specifically about this book. For the most part, I liked it and found it both engaging and intriguing. My issues with it were small, and mostly due to the fact that I am a crime fiction addict, which is hardly the fault of the authors;-) Do I think it warrants all the hype? Probably not, but then so few books I have read recently did. If you want a few mysteries where I thought all the fuss was worth it, I recommend The Alice Network, The Woman in the Window and The Dry by Jane Harper.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wife Between Us.

Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
October 29, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
October 29, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
January 5, 2018 – Started Reading
January 5, 2018 – Shelved
January 11, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery-suspense
January 11, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

LaDonna Malia, I requested this from my library. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Lori I just finished it last night. I don't feel it lived up to the hype and my expectations, but it was still good...just not AMAZING. I had a few theories develop thruout, most did not pan out but I did mostly figure out who the "ick" person was if that makes sense. The twist at the very end? No, didn't see that coming but it didn't shock me...I actually kinda smiled and was like...haha,,that was clever.

message 3: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia LaDonna wrote: "Malia, I requested this from my library. I can't wait to get my hands on it."

Hope you don't have to wait too long and enjoy it!

message 4: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia Lori wrote: "I just finished it last night. I don't feel it lived up to the hype and my expectations, but it was still good...just not AMAZING. I had a few theories develop thruout, most did not pan out but I d..."

I agree, it wasn't amazing, but it was a solid read and I wouldn't mind reading more by the authors.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo Malia, have you read any of the British Library Crime Classics? I'm reading one at the moment and compared to modern crime it's much slower but still intriguing.

Julie I read 'The Perfect Neighbors' by Pekkanen. It was pretty good. I'm very interested in reading more of her books. If you enjoyed this one, you might like 'The Last Mrs. Parrish". They are a bit too similar, but I read 'Parrish' first and so I thought it was more original, but these plots are all beginning to run together for me, so I'm taking a break from Pychological Thrillers for a bit. But, this one was not too bad, enjoyable enough, but not exactly worth all the build up, IMO.

message 7: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia Jo wrote: "Malia, have you read any of the British Library Crime Classics? I'm reading one at the moment and compared to modern crime it's much slower but still intriguing."

I haven't but I own two books in that series, which I have to confess I bought because the covers are so pretty and vintage:-) Do they read a bit like Agatha Christie novels?

message 8: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia Julie wrote: "I read 'The Perfect Neighbors' by Pekkanen. It was pretty good. I'm very interested in reading more of her books. If you enjoyed this one, you might like 'The Last Mrs. Parrish". They are a bit too..."

I have a hold on The Last Mrs. Parrish, so hopefully I'll get my copy soon, I've heard good things about it. I agree about this one. It was fine, but not worth all the hype.

JanB I agree, the Woman In the Window was better and this was decent enough but not worthy of the massive hype surrounding it. Great review!

message 10: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia JanB wrote: "I agree, the Woman In the Window was better and this was decent enough but not worthy of the massive hype surrounding it. Great review!"

Thank you, Jan!

Rachel “Readable” is the perfect world for this book. Well said! Great review.

Deanna Great review :)

message 13: by KAS (new) - rated it 5 stars

KAS Super review, Malia! So glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did :) xox

Nazanin Great review, Malia! Glad you enjoyed it too! :)

message 15: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia Rachel wrote: "“Readable” is the perfect world for this book. Well said! Great review."

Thank you, Rachel!

message 16: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia Deanna wrote: "Great review :)"

Thanks, Deanna!

message 17: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia KAS wrote: "Super review, Malia! So glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did :) xox"

So glad you enjoyed it, too!

message 18: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia Nazanin wrote: "Great review, Malia! Glad you enjoyed it too! :)"

Thank you!!

Aparna Great review! It was a good book but I too felt that the hype associated with it was a little too much

message 20: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia Aparna wrote: "Great review! It was a good book but I too felt that the hype associated with it was a little too much"

Thank you!

message 21: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Great review Malia! I really liked The Dry and The Woman at the Window too. This is a fun genre for me too!😄

message 22: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia Beverly wrote: "Great review Malia! I really liked The Dry and The Woman at the Window too. This is a fun genre for me too!😄"

Thank you, Beverly:-) It' definitely an entertaining genre!

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Thanks for your reccommendations at the end of your review, Malia. I am beginning to feel the same way about suspense novels, which I usually enjoy reading.