Becca's Reviews > Sleeping Giants

Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel

bookshelves: audiobook, sci-fi, reviewed, series, series-in-progress
Read 2 times. Last read September 28, 2018 to October 11, 2018.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Let's be real - I read this as an audiobook and I don't think I would have enjoyed it if I'd picked up a physical copy. I had heard that this book is a similar style to World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War ; written in the form of files, reports, and interview transcripts. I actually enjoy the concept of this presentation, but in reality I grow bored of it pretty quick.

BUT

This audiobook is on point.

Because this is such a dialogue heavy book, the audiobook (complete with different voice actors for different characters) is actually incredibly engaging and entertaining. It reminded me so much of fictional podcasts like The Black Tapes and The Bright Sessions.

So if you are interested in this series or thinking of completely drawing it off the TBR because of the writing style - pick up the audio!

“Stories are there to entertain, preserve history, or serve a societal purpose of some kind.”

The story follows a team of highly qualified scientists and military trained individuals, as they work on the discovery of an incredibly ancient artifact. Carbon-dating completely debunks everything science thought it understood and theories of what it is and why it's there run wild.

This story line involves an incredible amount of twists and turns, which would make you think that I would have been completely wrapped up the entire way. And don't get me wrong, I loved the story - found it absolutely fascinating.

But somewhere among the info-dumping and simply 'hearing about' major events in hindsight rather than experiencing them with the character, I got a little bored and found the writing style to become a bit stale.

“There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.”

The characters as well I find difficult to adequately comment on - with only their dialogue and very occasionally a journal-type entry, it was difficult to engage with a character as I would in other stories. I wanted more about their thoughts and feelings during major events, rather than the retrospective discussion that was mostly presented.

Overall, I love the concept and for a large part I was super entertained. But I wish it has been presented in a slightly different way - I don't mind the dialogue heavy style, like I said it made a fantastic audiobook. But I want to know what things are like as they are happening.

I probably won't continue with this series (although the sequels do have really good ratings). Although the cliffhanger very nearly changed my mind all by itself.

“I think people are scared, and dumb, and selfish on their own, but put enough of them together and they'll be half-decent”

Featured on "Backlist Reviews" | More reviews | Twitter | Pinterest | Sleep is good, he said, and books are better (G.R.R. Martin)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping Giants.

January 5, 2018 – Started Reading