Lori's Reviews > Unbury Carol

Unbury Carol by Josh Malerman

it was ok
bookshelves: arc-reviewers-copy, audio-book, downloads, aw-man-really, fiction

Awww man.
This was a beyond frustrating reading experience for me, you guys. Reading Josh Malerman has been a downhill slippyslopey ride ever since Bird Box.

I ADORED Bird Box. Like mushygushy lurrrved it.
Then I listened to the audio of Black Mad Wheel and was very meh over it.
And I am extremely uuuughfucknooooo over the audio version of Unbury Carol.

I don't understand what's happening here. I'm just connecting less and less with each of the books Josh is putting out. Is it just a really bad, extended version of a sophmore slump?

It's set in an undisclosed time period (or at least I don't recall hearing when it was set) but there's a Trail, and horses and coaches, so you know it's set in the old times. I'm not sure if he struggled with what people talked like back then or was simply hungho about certain phrases but oh man there were way too many hell's heaven's and pigshit's and moxie moxie moxie meeee's and before long all of the repetitive writing just knocked me right out of the book.

I nearly DNFd it a couple of times. The only thing that stopped me was the fact that I needed something to listen to on my commute to work and it would help me complete my goodreads reading challenge sooner.

Though I only gave it 2/5 stars, I so think it's deserving of 5/5 nails on a chalkboard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbury Carol.

January 5, 2018 – Shelved
May 29, 2018 – Started Reading
June 7, 2018 – Shelved as: aw-man-really
June 7, 2018 – Shelved as: fiction
June 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert really i think that this book is really bad

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth M Bbhhbbb