Angie's Reviews > Stringz

Stringz by Michael Wenberg

bookshelves: young-adult, middle-grade

Synopsis: "Life hasnt been easy for Jace Adams, a mixed-race teen whose mom moves them from one place to another so often that sometimes hes been in four schools in a single year. To cope with all that instability, Jace has vowed to never let himself get attached to anyone or anythingother than his beloved cello.But when his mom takes them to Seattle, where theyre living with tough, sassy Aunt Bernice, Jace wonders if this time things might really change. Because money is tight, Jace plays his cello on the street in downtown Seattle, and one evening, someone throws a folded $100 bill with a business card attached into Jaces open cello case while hes serenading.That card changes everything; its from a famous cello instructor who offers to take him on, giving Jace a shot at winning a scholarship to a prestigious music school. Will he make the grade?"

My Review: I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters, they were each so unique and full of life. The only issue I had was the fact that Jace seems far more mature than 14 years old, granted he would have had to grow up a little faster with the lifestyle his mother forced upon him but he really seems like more of a 20 year old. Stringz was kind of a Cinderella type tale, except for being modern, with a male main character, and with out the fairy tale wedding, haha okay so it doesn't have much to do with Cinderella except for the fact that kindness pays it forward. I really did like to what Jace grow in friendships, family, confidence and trust. It was really a great story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stringz.

October 17, 2011 – Shelved