Julian Dunn's Reviews > The Product Marketing Manager: Responsibilities and Best Practices in a Technology Company

The Product Marketing Manager by Lucas  Weber

I recently took on a new job as a product marketing manager (PMM) and like Weber, I come from a PM and engineering background. In the introduction, Weber said that when he first became a PMM, he scoured the Internet for resources on how to do the job, and finding none is what eventually led him to write this book after a few years of doing the job. Now I’m one of the beneficiaries, so I’m very thankful to Weber.

Fortunately, nothing about the scope of responsibilities of the job (as described by Weber) were surprising, but he does offer many pieces of advice for how to work with other departments in a company to best craft the messaging and position one’s products well. I particularly appreciated his thoughts on how to work with sales. Now, I will say, his advice will be easier to act on the more solution-oriented your sales reps are, and how much sales and executive management support the development and enforcement of a disciplined sales process. Otherwise, all the great messaging and positioning created by PMM will be wasted on salespeople who routinely ignore it because they are relationship selling.

Overall, Weber’s book is a very easy read but packed with useful information for folks who are doing the PMM job now or are considering moving into it. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Product Marketing Manager.

January 5, 2018 – Started Reading
January 5, 2018 – Shelved
January 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jordi Mon Companys I couldn’t agree more. That is my only criticism to the book: it takes for granted that sales reps are familiar with highly complex implementation, modular and pricing solutions.

The rest is just great.