Joy Rancatore's Reviews > Comfort

Comfort by Joyce Moyer Hostetter

In her sequel to the captivating novel Blue, Joyce Moyer Hostetter draws in her readers and transports them to the aftermath of WWII and America's war on polio. She picks up where she left Ann Fay Honeycutt--her instantly likable protagonist--and carries readers further into her journey.

This historical non-fiction hits on the timeless issues of acceptance, fitting in, love and loss, family ties and the tragedies that threaten to undo them. She also explores the depth of emotions soldiers must face post-war--a timely issue for our country today.

For a writer, writing is a journey--a long, arduous trek full of mis-steps, deadends, detours, twists and turns. And, for a reader, the end product is an adventure as well--the more eventful and tasking the writer's journey was, the more spell-binding and captivating the reader's response will be and the more that journey will leave an imprint on the reader and add to the core that makes a person who he or she is and that defines his or her character and approach to life. Comfort has certainly made such an imprint on me.

As in her earlier book, Hostetter provides author's notes in the back detailing some of the tireless research she did to produce this masterpiece. She also included which characters in the books were real and which were her own creation. I love reading about an author's writing experience and appreciate a glimpse into her creative thought process.

Hostetter's writing style is beautiful and the imagery she paints and word plays she uses are perfect. I found myself going back to reread sentence after sentence simply because I loved the flow of it or it's musical quality or just the way it fit so perfectly for the POV of a teenage girl from a small NC town in the mid-40s.

I also loved her prologues and epilogues in each book. I find myself replaying Ann Fay's voice from the book trailers reading those mesmerizing opening lines.

I think everyone--male, female; young, old and in-between should read these books. They provide a remarkable literary glimpse into a pivotal time in our country's history.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comfort.

October 17, 2011 – Shelved
November 21, 2011 – Started Reading
November 30, 2011 –
page 48
December 1, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Carol Baldwin I'm sure Joyce will be happy with your reviews!