Sharon's Reviews > Say Please to the Honeybees

1208323
Oct 17, 2011

Recommended to Sharon by: Author requested a review
Recommended for: Parents, grandparents, babysitters

In reviewing Say Please to the Honeybees (ISBN-10: 0981063438 ISBN-13: 978-0981063430, 32 pages) I find myself delighted to once again visit the antics of Violet, the affable “trouble magnet” in Farmer Shepherd’s flock.

Trouble magnet, you say? Violet . . . that dear little sheep?

By no fault of her own, I’m sure.

Through the clever story-telling of Susan Ross and engaging illustrations by Megan Stiver young readers are enticed to follow this woolly heroine on an adventurous romp through Pioneer Village that begins with a gooey honey-tasting — without permission, of course — and a distressing pursuit by angry bees.

Alas, Farmer Shepherd comes to Violet’s rescue using a smoke machine to chase away the bees. Unfortunately, her mass of sticky and matted wool leads to yet another shearing.

Fresh-mown ay, daisies? Children must read on to discover the creative ways this beauty queen utilizes to cover her wool-less self, and how she shares her ultimate triumph with her barnyard friends.

As with Ross’ The Great Bellybutton Cover-up, the first book in this charming series, Say Please to the Honeybees could easily become a story-time standard.

Say Please to the Honeybees is sure to spark children’s imaginations to come up with even more creative solutions for Violet and her self-imposed problems, as well as spurring a dialogue on manners. Ross tops off her tale by offering parents (and teachers) a step-by-step, interactive craft “Make a Busy Bee” to do with their children.

Yep, Susan Ross delivers another total package in riveting style. And I’m pleased to recommend Say Please to the Honeybees to teachers, parents and grandparents of children ages 3 to 9. (The older children will love reading this book themselves.) I’m giving this amusing tale five stars for originality, charm, lessons taught and creativity.

Susan Ross has also authored The Kit Kat Caper, The Great Bellybutton Cover-up and The Rose and the Lily. You can learn more about Ms. Ross and her future projects at http://www.susanross.ca. Say Please to the Honeybees is available through Amazon and other fine booksellers. (Reviewed by Sharon Cupp Pennington, author of Hoodoo Money & Mangroves and Monsters)

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Say Please to the Honeybees.

message 1: by Susan (last edited Oct 19, 2011 09:11AM) (new)

Susan Ross Violet loves you Sharon.

Did you know that "Say Please to the Honeybees" and "The Great Bellybutton Cover-up" are Little Bo Beep's favourite stories. It's true. She told me herself.