Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)'s Reviews > The Chalk Man

The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor

bookshelves: suspense-thriller, read-2018, owned

Super creepy! What a ride.

I took The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor with me on vacation: what a travel companion it was. Holy moly creepy. At first you don’t really recognize the creepiness, but then bam! Like what was that? Who can I talk about this with? (obviously I will not discuss it here - not going to spoil anything for you) For my suspense fans, you need to read this.

The story follows five grade school friends from a small town whose secret form of communication with chalk takes a morbid turn when it leads them to a dismembered body in the woods. Fast forward thirty years – the murder case closed but hastily solved – and each of the friends receives an anonymous letter with a piece of chalk.

This is Tudor’s first novel and it was masterfully written. Throughout the story you get just enough information to try and figure out the book’s mystery. Sometimes you may be right, sometimes you are wrong. It kept a good pace and just when you thought it was over, as any true suspense book does: the last chapter sends an added jolt.

The chapters are either past or present, alternating with a good flow as the story progressed. I certainly recommend this read.

To read more book reviews check out my blog: www.saturdaynitereader.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chalk Man.

January 4, 2018 – Shelved
February 23, 2018 – Shelved as: suspense-thriller
February 23, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
February 23, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 31, 2018 – Shelved as: owned

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Terrie's (new)

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Such a great review!! Thanks, Nikki!

message 2: by DJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

DJ Sakata I enjoyed this one too!

Louise Rennie loved this

message 4: by Jordana (new)

Jordana Landsman OK, Stephen King endorsed this, I was all, meh, whatever. But your review pushed me over the edge, I just reserved it from the library. #99 out of 99.... It'll go fast, right?