Lisa's Reviews > Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Oct 17, 2011

bookshelves: bloomsbury-allen-unwin

Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

This novel drove me insane and up the wall. It made me feel like jumping, screaming and crying in absolute joy! Shatter Me is most definitely one of the best books of 2011, if not ever. I was completely encompassed in Mafi's powerful imagery, her fierce characters and the earth-shattering romance. Shatter Me is a one-sitting read because you will not be able to pull your eyes away. It's just impossible.

The novel doesn't take time in the beginning to slowly educate readers about the dying society and Juliette's past. We're immediately thrown into the action, joining Juliette and her new cell mate, Adam, in an asylum. The world building is amazing and the facts build on in layers as the story unfolds, never burying us with too much information or being too brief. It's perfect.

Juliette has the ability to kill with skin to skin contact. Her parents think she's a monster and she's now been in her cell for 264 days by the order of the Reestablishment, which promises to better the world. Immediately, Adam makes a large impact on Juliette. She doesn't speak to him, she wants to speak to him, she avoids his touch, she's desperate for his touch, she doesn't want to know him, she knows him…Shatter Me is unique with its striked-out text, showing us what Juliette says and what she really thinks, means or wants to say. Another dimension is inserted into the novel and this method of writing is so so effective. As she comes out of her shell and blossom's under Adam's care, these strikes appear less and less, symbolising her growing freedom of speech around others. I love it!

Just when we're getting used to their stay in the cell, everything is turned upside down. Betrayals, secrets, revelations and plots….we're playing a whole different game. Warner, a nineteen year old soldier in control of an entire sector, wishes to use Juliette's power to torture. Let the action begin. Juliette is an amazingly fierce character, never wanting to do wrong and always wanting to do right. Her resilience is empowering and heart-warming, as is Adam's poorly masked affection for her. These two characters will take you on a breathtaking journey that you never ever want to end. There is so much substance behind their romance and its strength will surprise everyone. Factor in Adam's strange immunity to her touch of death and…you can see where this is going, right? Are you getting excited? Are you picturing the amazing things that happen in this book? Tears were actually brought to my eyes at their romance - genuine and beautiful is the only way to describe it, yet it's not good enough at all!

I have a feeling that if I go on, I'll blow your minds with my endless gushing. Never any dull moments. Fact. Powerful romance. Fact. Brilliant characterisation. Fact. Exciting and "OH MY GOD I NEED THE SEQUEL NOW" ending. Fact. An utterly speechless and mind-blown reader. Fact. You should read this book right now. Fact. My 5 star rating is actually a 50 in disguise. FACT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

10/17/2011 page 121
35.0% "*hugs Adam* Well aren't you a sweet one?" 7 comments
10/17/2011 page 175
51.0% "Whew! Thing are getting heated! *fans*"
10/17/2011 page 342
100.0% "Amazing!"

Isabel I NEED to read this! Can't wait for it to come out!!!

Lisa YES! It's so good, Isabel! Get it ASAP!

Isabel I will!! I hope! So many books! *dies*

Lisa You have to get new books as they come out each week or else they'll all pile up!

Isabel Oh, dear! Get new books each week? I think I'd become even more overwhelmed! D:

Lisa LOL I try to read 5 books a week! ;)

Isabel How the heck do you do that? How do you DO it?? (Are you in high school, college, working...?)

Lisa On weekdays I do my reading at night and whenever I have time on the weekend. 5 books is completely do-able ;) I have 2 more weeks of junior year left!

Isabel *shakes head in wonder* I honestly have no idea how you do that. I'm in seventh grade and I certainly don't have enough time to read that many books a week!!

That's weird that you're practically done with the school year, when I'm still in the beginning part (school here starts in September usually, or very late August). The school calendars must be different.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Seriously? You've got all the time in the world!! My time was in huge excess in 7th grade! I mean it - make the most of your free time now LOL. In a few years it will become almost non-existent!

*nods* We all start the new school year after summer. You guys have summer mid-year but in Australia, the seasons are opposite. So our summer's during Dec-Feb and so Dec-Jan are our holidays! This year I'll be finishing early though because we get to finish school as soon as we do our exams. Nov 9th's the date! ;)

message 11: by Isabel (last edited Oct 21, 2011 04:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isabel Heh. I'm pretty busy already (Winsor's a really top school, so it's tough) and I do make the most of my time! But I'm not the fastest reader in the world anyway. ;)

That's awesome! I hope you have a great summer -- next year you'll be in twelfth grade, right? That's exciting. ^.^

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Aww I've always been a fast reader ;) Maybe that's something! And I forgot you Americans have middle school! We just have primary (1-7) and high (8-12) school here - primary was pretty low key :P Year 8 was busy for me too! Feels like eons ago though ;)

My summer will be spent relaxing, reading and socialising! Good times. 12 will be exciting, yet absolutely terrifying at the same time. Oh the pressure. If you stuff up now, it's no big deal but next year will be a whopper! Hope I can maintain my A's :) Good luck with school!

Isabel Ahh, yeah! In seventh grade things start to get a bit more hectic. 6th was pretty layed back though...

Oh, I know!! Good luck! I have a sister who's in tenth grade. My mom is already getting going with the college lectures... sigh...

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Haha, I know what you mean! My parents were drilling that stuff into my head since I was little ;)

message 15: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy wow this one sounds really good. I ordered it because of all your status comments, made it sound so amazing. I have to wait:(
Have fun with your summer break.During the summer how many books do you usually read a week?

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Aww yay! I absolutely cannot wait for you to read this book. Promise you'll love it! <3

And thanks! All of my exams ended today so I'm free. It feels very strange to say that ;) During breaks, I can read 20 books a week LOL. But I'll control myself and keep it to 10...? Really depends what I'm reading. If it's a series then that's 3/4 down in a day haha.

message 17: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Iam hoping I will love it. It sounds very intriguing. No skin to skin contact is going to be very interesting, curious as to how they pull that off. anxiously waiting it's arrival:)
WOW that is a lot of books, impressive! I am lucky to get two a week done, but I still feel good about that since I have 5 kiddos, and I teach a 45min. seminary lesson for our youth at church five days a week, its fun.
Do you have an all time favorite book? And a favorite book for just this year?

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Juliette usually wears gloves so she doesn't accidentally kill someone ;) But yes, a very interesting power of hers!

Two a week when you're busy is very good :) I definitely don't get 20 books a week read when I'm not on break! Max is probably 5 - that's me sacrificing some sleep!

Oh wow, an all time favourite? That's so difficult! I love so many books for so many different reasons - there's no way I could choose one over the rest! But for the year...a recent top is definitely Shatter Me. There are a few more wowers from earlier on in the year but...yeah, in the recent past, Shatter Me. What about you? :)

message 19: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy I agree there are so many wonderful books and I love so many of them too for various reasons. The one that first comes to mind is Marcia Lynn McClure's Born for Thorton's Sake I have now read it I think 8 times this year. Literary wise it is flawed, but the story and characters really resonate with me, I love it.
For this year though I would have to say Legacy, but two other favorites were Hollowed, Lola and the boy next door, and Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and Tiger's Voyage........okay that was more than a couple. So many good ones to choose from, makes it hard, which is good I guess I didn't read to many bad ones this year.:D

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa The synopsis for BFTS sounds good :) Good for you, re-reading so many times! I don't have the time to anymore - big shame!

Loved Legacy (obviously!) and Lola. DOSAB and the Tiger's series should be arriving in the mail very very soon. I cannot wait to read them <3 2011 was a really good book year. Positive that 2012 will be even better!!

message 21: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy I hope you enjoy the Tiger's series really good! have to let me know what you think. I will watch for status updates:) I agree I think 2012 is looking bright!:)
BFTS is only about 160 pages so it is easy enough,it's my comfort read lol:D

message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Ah, 160 pages. That explains it ;) Rarely read short books anymore! Haha

I've heard nothing but good about the Tiger's series! Lovely reads await us :)