Melanie McCullough's Reviews > Vengeance Born

Vengeance Born by Kylie Griffin

Oct 16, 2011

bookshelves: own

Annika is Na'Chi, a half-demon/half-human, and the daughter of the king of the demon world. She has been horribly abused and raised to believe that she is worthless. When Kalen, a Light Blade warrior, is captured and injured by her father's warriors she sees her only opportunity to escape. So, after healing Kalen, she offers to free him in exchange for his promise to lead her to the human world.

Most of the book takes place during their journey to the human world and it is here that Annika and Kalen learn to trust one another and begin to fall in love. I clicked with Annika immediately. Her plight touched my heart and I wanted desperately for her to escape her father and make it to the human world AND for Kalen to fall deeply in love with her. I loved Kalen instantly as well. He is my favorite type of hero: strong, noble, kind, funny. And their relationship developed slowly enough for me to enjoy the transition from tentative trust to love.

If I had a complaint at all, it would be regarding the point of view transition. The story is told from three different perspectives: Annika, Kalen, and another Na'Chi named Varian. Varian's narrative was usually condensed into his own chapter or section but the POV changes between Annika and Kalen would take place mid-scene. It was a little hard to get used to at first, but once I realized the pattern it was easier to follow along. This is of course just my personal preference.

Other than that, I really liked Vengeance Born. Kylie Griffin has created compelling characters and put them in a world that is protected by ultra-powerful Light Blade warriors and is on the brink of war with blood-sucking demons. It's a truly unique blend of paranormal romance and pure fantasy with enough elements of each to delight fans of either genre. I'm definitely hooked and can't wait for the next installment, Alliance Forged, which is due out in July.

Recommended to fans of fantasy and paranormal romance.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vengeance Born.

October 16, 2011 – Shelved