Natalie Monroe's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

EDIT 14/4/2015: And now my fourth watch reread had ended. Still as good as I remembered and I can finally see the depth of foreshadowing GRRM put in.

Also, R+L=J for sure.

A Guide to Reading A Game of Thrones:

Step 1: Find a comfortable place with lots of light

This is a hefty book, ladies and gentlemen. Standing at 835 pages, it will take you more than a few hours to tear through. So get your bathroom breaks in, have a cool drink and a platter of cookies by your side and bar your doors in case of unwelcome distractions.

Step 2: Resist the urge to give up in the middle of the prologue

It's tedious, I know. Things only start getting interesting after the Starks find the direwolves, which thankfully, is in the very next chapter. But unlike certain prologues *cough*Twilight*cough*, this one plays a purpose.

Step 3: Don't panic at the enormous array of characters

Don't try to commit everyone's name to memory. Seriously, don't.

All those titles...

It has little use (all men must die) and will only trip up your enjoyment of the book. Go at your own pace and soon, they will all feel like old friends.

Step 4: Let go of all grand morals and social conventions

This is no fancy world of noble knights and swooning princesses. This is a startling realistic fantasy land of rape, misogyny, incest, murder and above all, political scheming.

And you will sympathize with them. Or at the very least, understand them.

Warning Step 5: Do not get attached to any of the characters

I believe that line speaks for itself.

Step 6 (because you will most certainly not obey step 5): Save your tears. There are six books to go

Step 7: Rinse and repeat for A Clash of Kings

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Natalie Liked

George R.R. Martin
“The things I do for love.”

George R.R. Martin
“The king eats, they say, and the Hand takes the shit.”
tags: humor

George R.R. Martin
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

“Winter is coming.”

George R.R. Martin
“When you play a game of thrones you win or you die.”

George R.R. Martin
“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”

George R.R. Martin
“Why is it that when one man builds a wall, the next man immediately needs to know what's on the other side?”

George R.R. Martin
“Give me honorable enemies rather than ambitious ones, and I'll sleep more easily by night.”

George R.R. Martin
“Laughter is poison to fear.”

George R.R. Martin
“Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well.”

October 16, 2011 – Shelved
March 20, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
August 5, 2012 –
10.0% "My heart tells me to revisit this series—who am I to deny it?"
August 6, 2012 –
January 24, 2013 – Shelved as: fearless-protagonists
May 5, 2013 – Shelved as: kick-ass-heroines
June 29, 2014 –
page 0
0.0% "Reread! (Because I have no self-control)"
July 1, 2014 –
page 308
36.89% "I just realized that 300 pages in and Daenerys's POV has only showed up twice. I want the Mother of Dragons.\n \n "
April 8, 2015 – Shelved as: he-s-so-bad-but-he-does-it-so-well
page 0
0.0% "Yup, it's that time of the year again. Sorry, ARCs and homework. \n \n \n \n REREAD TIME."
page 16
1.92% ""A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.""
page 56
6.71% ""Did I offend you?" Lannister said. "Sorry. Dwarfs don't have to be tactful. Generations of capering fools in motley have won me the right to dress badly and say any damn thing that comes into my head.""
page 69
8.26% "Ah, Arya. Remember when I used to like you here? \n \n \n \n Yeah, I miss that."
page 124
14.85% ""A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.""
page 263
31.5% ""You're too stupid to be craven," Pyp told him. \n \n "I'm not," Green said. \n \n "Yes you are. If a bear attacked you in the woods, you'd be too stupid to run away."\n \n "I would not," Grenn insisted. "I'd run away faster than you." He stopped suddenly... realizing what he'd just said."
page 323
38.68% ""Wheels within wheels within wheels."\n \n \n \n \n Even on my fourth read, the sheer complexity of its plot makes my head spin."
page 412
49.34% ""He slew the Hand of the King!" "Oh, did I kill him too?" Tyrion had said."
page 461
55.21% "Some lines are too good for the show to change.\n \n "
page 510
61.08% ""
page 514
61.56% ""You wear your honor like a suit of armor, Stark. You think it keeps you safe, but all it does is weigh you down and make it hard for you to move."\n \n I can quote this baby all day long."
April 14, 2015 –
page 712
85.27% ""
September 25, 2015 – Shelved as: girl-squad
April 14, 2016 – Shelved as: my-inner-feminist-cries-with-joy
Started Reading
May 13, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 17, 2017 – Shelved as: surf-n-turf

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)

message 1: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (In Wonderland) Hahaha, great review! Shocking that I still haven't read any of the GoT books, but I think I have to now!

Savina M. I'm still stuck on A Clash of Kings. The length man, the length.

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* the audiobooks help LOADS. if not for them this series would still be unread on my shelf. as it is I'm only partway through Storm of Swords but again, it's better than nothing.

Savina M. I get too easily distracted listening to audiobooks. I have a hard enough time focusing reading actual books! D:

Mike Fun review, all good advice.

I am also rereading the series in the vain hope that when I finish the next book will come out. Also, it has been years since I read them and it is fun to come across little gems that I had forgotten and that the show did not include.

Natalie Monroe @Aly I hope you like them!

@Savina and Ashley Yeah, they are really long.

@Mike I hear the next one is coming in 2015. Hope it's not a rumor :(

message 7: by Lola (new)

Lola This review rocks! Literally. ;) Great job, Natalie!!

Natalie Monroe Lola wrote: "This review rocks! Literally. ;) Great job, Natalie!!"

Thanks, Lola^^

Gaston Yess !! R+L=J all the way :)
P.S I think according to Martin, is coming in early 2016. Sorry for the bad news :(

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* R+L=J yaaaaaaaaaaas

message 11: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Excellent review :-)

Gaston Ashley wrote: & Gaston, better late than never! part of me is still afraid he's gonna croak before the series is finished o.O"

That's actually one of my biggest fears right now.

Charity Yoder Some characters are impossible to understand, and I think that Viserys got best/ most inventive death ever.

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* Charity wrote: "Some characters are impossible to understand, and I think that Viserys got best/ most inventive death ever."

Agreed!

Sakina Hilarious and Amazing review Natalie!!

I am so looking forward to read this after exams with minimum distractions!

message 16: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki Step 3: Don't panic at the enormous array of characters

Don't try to commit everyone's name to memory. Seriously, don't.

Wow, this.

message 17: by Nicqui (new) - added it

Nicqui I haven't read it yet (admittedly started the first chapter of the first book and couldn't move on) but this review is the first account I've seen that makes me want to read it. Thanks for that.

Natalie Monroe @Ashley & Gaston Stephen King started working on his Dark Tower series again after he got hit by a van. Maybe someone should take note... Kidding.

@Aditi Thanks! <3

@Charity Without spilling a single drop of blood, too. And to this day, I still don't understand Baelish. I've read discussions speculating he likes chaos because he thrives on it, so he stirs the pot by (view spoiler).

@Sakina I hope you like it! And good luck with your exams!

@Mizuki There's a handy 30-page appendix in the back to keep track of everyone. Xd

@Nicqui The prologue is boring, I admit it. It picks up after they find the direwolves in the next chapter. :)

Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing) I didn't get the R+L= J thing till a year ago when my cousin (who also watches GoT) showed me this video theorising this and I was like, "Oh my, God it all makes sense now!"

Sakina Natalie wrote:Sakina I hope you like it! And good luck with your exams!

Thank you! ^_^

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

YES! R+L=J! It's totally true. It has to be. I feel very strongly about this. I also feel very strongly that GRRM needs to finish the books soon -_-

Natalie Monroe @Bookaholic I heard that's how the TV producers got the rights to GoT. They guessed Jon's mother correctly.

Gaston Natalie wrote:
@Rachel Please, eat healthier, George. In the name of the old gods and the new, please."

This !! Definitely this!

Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing) Woah really? That so cool. I would have never pieced that together it someone else hadnt told me.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I STILL HAVE NOT YET READ THESE BOOKS, but I probably won't for a long time because dedication, and I want to actually buy them because I'm 100% sure I'm not going to read them within the actual library lending period. XD

Natalie Monroe Mikaela wrote: "I STILL HAVE NOT YET READ THESE BOOKS, but I probably won't for a long time because dedication, and I want to actually buy them because I'm 100% sure I'm not going to read them within the actual li..."

They are insanely thick hahaha. But I guarantee once you start, you won't be able to end. I borrowed the first book from the library, read it in a day and instantly put the other four on reserve.

Try a secondhand bookstore! Then you can see if it's your thing before buying the whole series.

message 27: by leka-reads (new)

leka-reads Awesome review! I came halfway through A Game of Thrones, and took a break because of school, but I have to pick it up again!! especially after this review:)

Asghar Abbas Great review, depth of foreshadowing exactly !

Natalie Monroe @leka-reads Yay! I can't wait to see what you think!

@Asghar And GRRM says he's a gardener writer type. Pfft. He's totally a builder. He's plotted out most of the minor things you see in later books too.

Asghar Abbas oh yes, whenever I do reread Song of Ice and Fire, I get astonished at the all the hidden meanings you only get to understand after you have read the books couple of times. It's shocking. Like how patiently he planted all those nuggets and some like 10 15 years ago! How does he do that ? Did he know where he was going? It that time? Brilliant. hAHAH, gardener lol yeah

love this review btw, I am all about rereading this saga.

Olivia-Savannah  Roach I LOVE THIS BOOK TOO!

Natalie Monroe Olivia-Savannah wrote: "I LOVE THIS BOOK TOO!"

ISN'T IT AMAZING? My whole life is about waiting for Winds of Winter now haha.

Siti Shakira Suhaimi The exact review everyone needs

Natalie Monroe Siti Shakira wrote: "The exact review everyone needs"

;)

message 35: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn I'm on my first read through of this book right now, and you're definitely right about the Prologue...I must've started the book a half of a dozen times without ever really getting into it. This time, though, I started reading when I was at physical therapy (no where to go with my knee being iced) and forced myself to get through it. Now I'm nearly 200 pages in and really enjoying it!

Natalie Monroe Jenn wrote: "I'm on my first read through of this book right now, and you're definitely right about the Prologue...I must've started the book a half of a dozen times without ever really getting into it. This ti..."

I'm glad! It's a dense read, but worth it.

Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ Jenn wrote: "I'm on my first read through of this book right now, and you're definitely right about the Prologue...I must've started the book a half of a dozen times without ever really getting into it. This ti..."

The prologue has been an immense struggle for me as well. Glad to hear you pushed past it!