Kelly's Reviews > Rebirth

Rebirth by Steven Long Mitchell

U 50x66

did not like it
bookshelves: why, waste-of-time-and-money

Everyone can imagine a fan's surprise when they learn the series they loved so dearly is returning. It was a hyped return only to learn the return would be a novel, not film. I was disappointed...many of us were, but it didn't lower my expectations. I've now read both novels in the series and have given up on the series as it's been four years since the second novel.

The primary grievance is the reboot itself. Instead of staying the course, they tried to fix something that wasn't broken when all we wanted was the continuance or ending we were promised. I don't like being lied to.

I wanted to be like the others, be enthusiastic and keep buying the hype, keep being a team player and give these novels 5 star ratings. I wanted to buy into the Pretender fanmily myth but I wanted potential buyers and hopeful fans alike to beware and that means being honest. I would have given the tv series a solid 4 back in the day... knocking off a star for dragging us along, for wasting time with the story, for the intro that reminds us that Jarod is a genius, for unnecessary repetition and IOTH...terribly edited... and The Pretender 2001... it was the beginning of the inner sense and a flaw in the story line that was never SciFi and then all of sudden was.

Both Rebirth and Saving Luke were awful. They were poorly written, constructed. The characters I've come to love were not themselves, were flat stick figures. They didn't emote, they didn't express. I don't "see" them, I don't empathize with them and can't identify with them.

The writing itself, in addition to many grammatical errors, is juvenile at best but also is chock full of filth and potty and middle school humor inappropriate for young readers who, if you look at the writing, seem to be the target audience because this doesn't appeal to any adult I know...and to think that this was once called a family show.

I was expecting to be riveted or at least interested. I was neither. I felt nothing. I still feel nothing about these books and have even lost love for the tv series itself now. I don't care if another novel is never published and I don't care if the promise to fans is never kept.

There are superior shows, superior books. The only thing that really burns is the betrayal. A promise was made to fans. We waited. We were patient. The authors and series creators got our hopes up and then dashed them. These novels are easily the worst books I've ever read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebirth.

Finished Reading