Elizabeth's Reviews > Strange the Dreamer

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

Reading for the 2nd time. Most recently started January 5, 2018.

“The library knows its own mind... When it steals a boy, we let it keep him.”

How do you even begin reviewing such a spectacular book?

Laini Taylor's writing is poetic & musical. And while I love her style, I love her characters even more.

Lazlo Strange isn't the normal YA male character. He's dreamy (The Dreamer), bookish, and incredibly humble. He's everything a male character isn't supposed to be AND YET that makes him even better.

“You’re a storyteller. Dream up something wild and improbable," she pleaded. "Something beautiful and full of monsters."

“Beautiful and full of monsters?"

“All the best stories are.”

And the cast of Godspawn are quirky, fleshed out, and amazing characters. Sarai, of course, stole my heart. But the others, Feral, Ruby, Sparrow, I liked each of them for their vibrant personalities and gifts.

The villains in this story are deep - and Strange the Dreamer isn't afraid to make you question what is truly evil and good.

“Good people do all the things bad people do, Lazlo. It's just that when they do them, they call it justice.”

I'm disappointed the book ended sharply - a definite cliffhanger. I rather wish it was a stand alone. But now I eagerly anticipate Taylor's sequel - The Muse of Nightmares.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange the Dreamer.

January 3, 2018 – Started Reading
January 3, 2018 – Shelved
January 3, 2018 –
page 80
14.71% "Limited has already hooked me I'm - a librarian, magic, a dream"
January 5, 2018 – Started Reading
January 5, 2018 –
page 80
14.71% "Laini has already hooked me I'm - a librarian, magic, a dream"
January 5, 2018 – Finished Reading