Lauraadriana's Reviews > Bitterwood

Bitterwood by Rowan Speedwell

bookshelves: fantasy, m-m

3.75 Stars

I enjoy this author's writing very much. She sets the stories so nicely. Her men are strong and honorable. It's nothing over the top or intense, just nicely paced and lovingly written.

In this book we get two love stories.

Joss and Faran. Joss is the Lord of Deanewood or Bitterwood. On a stormy night Faran a Captain of the King's Army shows up at his door with his men asking for shelter. Faran is travelling with one of the King's Mages, Meric. They are on a secret mission, which if it fails could be disastrous for Meric.

Joss and Faran are drawn to each other, and even though they know their obligations will not allow for them to be together they, are old and wise enough to know that they need to take advantage of the time the do have.

Then there are Meric and Eissa. Eissa is the youngest son of the Deanewood house. The moment he sees Meric, he knows he has found his 'one true love', the men of Deanewood have always know their mates, and Eissa belongs with Meric. But Meric has a difficult task ahead of him and will need the men of Bitterwood to accomplish it.

The couples in this book charmed me so much. Joss and Faran were fierce, and oh so sexy. Meric and Eissa were so adorable.

This book had really interesting twists and fantasy elements. It is not fast paced, but it is very satisfying. I like Rowan's Speedwell's writing. She is consistently good.

I recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitterwood.

October 16, 2011 – Shelved
October 30, 2011 – Started Reading
October 30, 2011 –
10.0% "I do love Rowan's writing..."
November 1, 2011 –
November 1, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy
November 1, 2011 – Shelved as: m-m
November 1, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Snowtulip I so have been wanting to read this, I loved her other books, just keep forgetting about this one!

Lauraadriana Snowtulip wrote: "I so have been wanting to read this, I loved her other books, just keep forgetting about this one!"

I just opened it! Wanna read it with me?

Snowtulip Bummer, I was out all day!

Lauraadriana Snowtulip wrote: "Bummer, I was out all day!"

I'm still like at 15% LOL So you've got time!

Snowtulip I might start this tonight after trick or treating ends. How far are you?

Lauraadriana Snowtulip wrote: "I might start this tonight after trick or treating ends. How far are you?"

Same as yesterday, you'll catch up in no time. I won't read for an hour or two.

Snowtulip I'm a slacker, I was in need of some pampering, so came home late. But I just started ;)

Lauraadriana Snowtulip wrote: "I'm a slacker, I was in need of some pampering, so came home late. But I just started ;)"

It's good. A liiiiitle bit of a slow start. But it gets interesting and its really sexy. Also there are two love stories. I'm not done yet. But I like it a lot.

Snowtulip Oh, I love two for the price of one, one of the reasons I absolutely loved According To Hoyle (well, it was also just amazingly fun)!

Snowtulip Thanks for the read LA!

Lauraadriana Snowtulip wrote: "Thanks for the read LA!"

Thanks for reading with me dear :O)

message 12: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess Hey :)

Your review is pretty glowing but it only gets a 3.75 stars. I am in a very picky mood so I am looking for the perfect book to read. So I would love to know what about this book disappointed you enough to lose ratings?

Lauraadriana Jess wrote: "Hey :)

It was a bit slow. I really like her writing and maybe it could be a four. But yeah, slow. If you haven't read Kindred Hearts by her, I'd read that. Amazing!

message 14: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess okay - I will add it to the TBR pile but I might leave it till im in the mood for slow :)

Thanks :)